Chapter 23

Eren POV

"Class costs money, and money is something I do not have."

At least that's what I planned on saying. Instead, I turned into a child who was told to go talk to an adult- nervous and stuttery. I don't even think that last one is a word. My awkwardness strikes again, ruining every situation that I accidentally get dragged into because my idiot brain has a single brain cell left. Maybe not even that.

Levi just smirks and rolls his eyes. He grabs my hand and starts leading me home. There we go, human interaction, last brain cell dead. It has to be the most awkward walk home, on the way there, something I never though would happen- or should I say someone showed up again.

No way he's here. I immediately clutch Levi's hand. Levi turns around, his eyebrow raised in confusion. I try to hide my face with my hair, but that doesn't work when it's short. I'll have to grow it out. The person I really didn't want to see again then sees me.

"Eren?"

My eyes widen in horror as my eyes snap to Levi. No way he just said that out loud?! I let go of Levi's hand and bolt. I don't know where, but I couldn't stay there. I don't want to see anyone right now. Not Levi, not Mikasa, Not him. Not Jean.

The thought of him makes me run even faster. I'm happy to see him alive and well but he brings up the past. All I can think of is the silhouette of Marco. How could I forget? It's always cars. Saving Petra only prolonged her death. Tears pricked my eyes as I remember the four deaths. First my mother, then Marco, then Petra, and now Mr. Erwin. Every other death is a stupid car, and one of them was supposed to be one. Is this a sign?

That's when the land ends, and I'm met with an intersection. It would be so easy to just...walk into the traffic. I then think about Armin and Mikasa. They've been with me for years. They wouldn't want this, right? No, I've always been a burden to them, it would be a relief. I then think about Levi. He would find somebody else after awhile, he doesn't need me. The only reasons I have for not wanting to do this are selfish. It would be so much easier for everyone.

I was about to take the final walk when I hear someone.

"Hey...don't do...it please"

(Just kidding)

"EREN WAIT!"

...Jean? What's he doing here? Why is he here?

He runs up to me, "Eren I'm sorry. Please don't do this." He then wraps me in a hug, "I'm sorry."

What am I supposed to do? This is my friend. He might not be perfect, but he's still my friend. I want to hug him back but something is stopping me. Why?

"Eren I...I forgive you...I shouldn't have to because you did nothing wrong but...I forgive you."

My arms move on their own, "Same here...horseface."

Levi POV

The other guy takes off but I'm stuck in place. What just happened? He just...took off. Was it something I did? Did I upset him? Where is he? Why did he run?

Then everything goes numb again. I need to find him. That's when I realize he was headed straight for a busy street. I immediately take off. I have to guess which way he went. What if something happens to him? I have to be prepared for anything.

When I actually arrive, I'm not prepared at all. He's hugging...another...man. My fists clench. My vision starts to darken before I'm met with pale green, doe eyes. He immediately peels himself out of the other's grasp and runs over to me. He looks down before speaking.

"I...I'm sorry Levi. I didn't mean to- well I did but- its a long story. Anyway, this is my...old...frien-"

The taller cuts him off, "I don't really deserve that title, not yet at least. I still have to find a way to make it up to you."

Eren's mouth goes agape, "Jean, what happened to you? You've started apologizing to me? Are you ok?!"

They go back on forth for a bit, and I can already tell that I won't like this guy. The two are acting like they're close, but Eren very clearly bolted at the sight of him. Well, now it's clear at least. Something isn't right here.

The two start...I don't even know what, but I get jealous and wrap my arm around Eren. He just leans into me, probably used to this happening by now. The sandy haired one I guess called 'Jean' looks at me. Not it the normal, 'Oh wow you exist' way, but in a whole tf are you and what are you doing' way.

"Hey Eren, who's your friend?" He asks.

"Oh, Levi? He's my boyfriend. Anyway-"

This guy practically starts choking, "Your what? How?!"

I roll my eyes, "Eren, we've been out for hours, shouldn't we go home?"

Eren POV

I look  at Levi confused, until I realize he's probably uncomfortable. I just exchange phone numbers with Jean and agree. I know I shouldn't be getting close to Jean again so soon, especially because this is exactly what happened last time, but I couldn't bring myself to ignore his apology.

Levi and I start walking to his house, hand in hand once more. He's been so quiet, which is normal, but it really seems like he wants to say something. I feel like I should probably tell him what I was about to do. I don't know how I just brushed it off so easily before. One minute I was about to end everything and the next I'm laughing about everything and nothing. Yeah I probably shouldn't tell Levi about that, he'll think I'm absolutely nuts.

"So what happened?"

My eyes widen in shock, "I-um-w-what?"

Does he know?

"Eren, you ran at the sight of this guy, obviously something has previously happened between you two."

Oh, he means Jean. I should probably tell him at some point, "This really isn't a walk in the park kind of thing to talk about. Maybe we should wait until we get to your house."

He sighs in annoyance, but agrees. We get to his house and he shoves my into the bathroom.
He closes the door.

"Levi?"

"I'M NOT LETTING YOH OUT UNTIL YOU ARE CLEAN!"

I laugh. Typical. I get into the bath/shower and see my cleaning supplies. Like, MY cleaning supplies.

"Oh yeah, by the way, I asked Hange to get all of your stuff. Your clothes are in the wash because I don't trust her ways of getting things here."

I know they say 'make yourself at home' but isn't this a bit extensive? I'm extremely grateful, and I want to spend a lot of time with Levi, but what about Mikasa and Armin? I can't just leave them. Fudge it I'm having a bubble bath, I need to contemplate my life decisions. After about an hour of that, the bubbles begin to die down, and my fingers are wrinkly and it's time to get out. I wrap the towel around my waist and walk into Levi's room. He's not in the room, but clothes are on the bed. They're a lot nicer than I would have thought to wear with a dark blue button up shirt and black jeans. All I need are a pair of shades and I am any rich guy movie character ever created. In a certain genre...and time period. I put on the clothes and that's when Levi comes into the room. Right as I'm finishing the last button.

"Darn, I should've come earlier."

My face heats up, "A-anyway, so you wanted to know what happened?"

He grabs my wrist, "You took too long getting ready, you can tell me over dinner."

WHAT?!