Chapter 26.5

Before you get into the chapter, basically this is Eren's dream when he goes to sleep the second time, but it's actually a flashback. I figured that to get to know him better, it's best to start from the very beginning.

I wake up to the smell of cinnamon and syrup (it's good ok). I rush down the stairs, knowing mom made waffles. They're my favorite. I got to sit at the table, when I see someone else there.

"Hey mommy, who's this?"

She doesn't turn around, trying to plate the delicacy, and speaks up, "Oh? I didn't tell you?"

"Oh right, of course I remember you telling me a child would be at our table at 7:30 am on a Tuesday morning during summer break."

"Eren, drop the sass."

I hop onto the stool, almost falling off, "But it's part of who I am, mother, I can't just suppress part of myself."

She sighs to herself and mumbles, "How did my sweet 5 year old learn how to talk back?"

"It's called explaining mother, you should try it sometime. Anyway," I turn to the girl who looks about my age, "What's your name?"

"Mikasa." She says curtly.

I get a good look up and down of this girl. I wasn't checking her out or anything, but she's stepping into dangerous territory- my kitchen. And on a WAFFLE morning. I'm just scoping out the competition. She has silky black hair hanging just below her shoulders, and dark, almost black, eyes. She has porcelain skin, almost making her look like a life sized doll. She's about my height, and she's got fantastic posture. If it weren't for her completely blank expression, I would think she was a doll. She doesn't look like a bad person at all. In fact, she looks pretty friendly if you look past appearances.

"I'm Eren. Wannabe friends?"

She looks at me, her eyebrows slightly furrowed, and her lips slightly parted, "Friends?"

"Yeah!" I slide off of my stool and walk over to her, "That way you won't have to be alone!"

Regardless of what my mother said earlier, I remember her saying that we were adopting a child into our household. She told me it was because of something that happened with her parents. I can only imagine what it would be like without mommy and daddy, and I think it would be very lonely. I take her hand and drag her over to the table where we sit down and eat waffles. The food of bonding.

From that moment on we were inseparable, and we would laugh and play together every single day. It was perfect for awhile. One day during winter, I went to find Mikasa as I normally do after school. We were in different classes, so she waited for me on the side of the school. When I got there, however, she was shoved into the snow, and there were kids surrounding her, making fun of her appearance. I balled my fists and gritted my teeth.

"GET AWAY FROM MY SISTER!"

The kids turned around and looked at me, confused. The looked between me and Mikasa multiple times before one of them decided to speak up.

"You two don't look like siblings."

"Oh my gosh, she was adopted!"

The kids started laughing, "I bet her parents didn't want her because she looks so weird!"

"Yeah, she never smiles, she always has the same look on her fa-"

The kid fell to the ground, holding her cheek, "HE HIT ME?!"

I glared at the other kids who helped their friend up, "Jerkfaces don't know what they talkin' 'bout 'Kasa." I said as they ran.

Mikasa was shivering so I took off my scarf and wrapped it around her, "You my sister, they just stupid."

She got up and dusted off her skirt, "Talking, about, You're and they're."

I cocked my head to the side, "That what I say?"

"'That's what i said', and no, it isn't."

Mikasa was a lot smarter than me. Well, when she was trying. When I wasn't trying, I had perfect English, but whenever I wanted to make someone feel better, language skills, gone. Mikasa always corrected my mistakes, and I never told her to stop because it didn't bother me. If anything, I was happy she was speaking. She didn't do a lot of it unless it was just us playing together, so I took what I could get.

The next day, the bullies we back, but this time, Mikasa was bleeding. I saw the tears rolling down her face as she was shoved up against a wall. The one holding her there was bigger, and definitely older.

"Geth her big brover!"

Everything went red. The next thing I knew, my arm was being held back by Mikasa as I was on top of the guy who was beating her up. He looked terrible. And my knuckles were bloody and torn. I looked terrible. When my mom arrived, she hugged up both and brought us home to clean our wounds and make sure we were ok. I slept with Mikasa that night, wanting to make sure she was ok. She was really shaken up, and her eyes were puffy.

Those kids never bothered us again, to afraid to taste my wrath. It wasn't long after that mom had started to get sick. She still made the most of it, and hung out with us whenever we could. The smile never left her face, and even though dad was extremely worried, he tried to keep positive as well. For the first couple months. Whenever it got rough at home, Mikasa and I would walk to the creek and walk along the rocks and talk with our friends. It was a fun way to forget about everything. Our lives weren't perfect, but we never expected them to be. We only expected to be there for each other, and that was enough. Armin would always map out a plan for an obstacle course, and Marco would always want to find a way to have the lake be involved. Mikasa would only participate to make sure my clumsy butt didn't fall and hurt myself, which only happened 3 times. Jean would always race me down the hill, and place weird bets for whoever won. It was only with me. The old times were hard, but I made so many good memories that made it worth it. I guess I never really looked at them hard enough.