Chapter 31

It's been a full week since that first night with David. I say the first night because we have spent every night together since then. I was worried at first about how I'd deal with Gage but he had a family emergency that took him out of town unexpectedly. He doesn't know exactly when he will be back but he expects to be gone for a few weeks at least. He's aware that I am "seeing someone" and understands that things with that person could progress while he's gone. I won't lie, part of me was disappointed because I'd never felt an instant connection like that before. But I'm not worried about Gage today. My mind is only on two people at the moment. Two people by the names of Ethan and Xavier.

David wants to sit down tonight and tell my brother we are "dating." The only thing about that is, he's completely serious. He wants a real relationship. Honestly, I have no idea what I want. As for Ethan, we haven't been together since before my date with Gage. At first he kept his distance because he knew I was angry with him. Apparently he has now decided to be mad at me for getting upset in the first place. I'm absolutely floored by his childishness. He's so wrapped up in his own emotions he hasn't even noticed how close David and I have become.

All of this ran through my mind as I stood in front of my bathroom mirror brushing my hair. Lost in thought I jumped slightly when I felt a set of arms slip around my waist. I leaned back against David's chest as he rained soft kisses down my neck. "Are you ready for tonight?" His excitement was evident in his tone. "Honestly? No, not really." I think he interpreted my reluctance as nervousness. "It's gonna be fine Katya, I promise. It might be uncomfortable for a minute. However, getting it over with is the best choice for everyone. Plus, I am NOT watching that douche bag take you on another date." I couldn't help but laugh at his blatant jealousy. It was sweet yet hot at the same time. "It's not funny Katya." I glanced up at his serious expression and failed to hold back my grin. I laughed again causing him to give in and laugh along with me.

He pulled me closer and his lips sought mine. He kissed me softly, our lips fitting together perfectly. I swept my tongue gently across his bottom lip and he moaned, his lips parting slightly. His tongue slipped out in search of mine as he cupped my face in his hands. Wrapping me in his arms he deepened the kiss. Our lips and tongues intertwined in an erotic dance. Breaking the kiss I laid my head against his chest and snuggled in close to him. His fingers traced a trail up and down my back. "We do have something we should talk about at some point baby." I nuzzled into him with my eyes closed. "Oh yea? What's that babe?" He was silent for a moment and I was about to repeat the question when one word fell from his lips. "Ethan.." My eyes flew open but I didn't move. I felt my body tense and I'm sure he did too. "Baby?" His voice prompted me tentatively.

"What about him?" I heard the trepidation in my tone. "Well...... are you in love with him?" Well that wasn't exactly one of the many questions I anticipated. "What?" I pulled back and looked at David. I was surprised and slightly uncomfortable by the question. "I just need to know where he stands in this before I get too close. Look Katya, I really like you ... .a lot. I could see myself falling for you if I'm not careful. I don't want to set myself up for heartache. I just need you to be honest with me about your feelings so I can walk into this with my eyes open." He reached out and stroked my cheek and I leaned into his touch. "You have no idea what kind of power you hold. You could easily shatter my heart. In the end I'll probably let you, just for a few stolen moments together. But I still need to know where your heart lies. Is it already taken or could it possibly be mine someday?"

My heart pounded in my chest with every word he spoke. Where did my heart lie? Honestly? I didn't think I even knew for sure. Am I in love with Ethan? I didn't think so. Sure I have love for him, I've known him my whole life. He's part of my family, I've never not loved him. Could I see myself in love with him down the road? Maybe? I just didn't know. I cleared my throat before finally answering. "I.... well, I'm not in love with Ethan no, but...... well I.... I do love him, David. He's been in my life since I was born. This side of our relationship is new, and different, not to mention complicated. I'm not sure how I feel about him. I do know I care for him on a different level now. But no, I've never thought I was in love with him."

David's face lit up but he tried his best to hide it. I could tell my answer pleased him and I shook my head. "What?" He could be so easy to read at times. "Just you," I chuckled. "What about me?" I scoffed playfully at his attempt to be coy. Clearly amused, he brought his lips to my cheek, then moved to my jaw and down my neck before finally stopping near my ear."You are a devilish woman Katya. What am I going to do with you?" His fingers ran through my hair, tucking it behind my ear. "You're a creative man. I'm sure you can figure something out."