Chapter 43

As soon as I pulled into the driveway I saw that the SUV was gone. I assumed Circe had gone out, but it's definitely too early for her to go into work at NightShade. I took a couple of calming breaths as I tossed my keys into my purse. I rolled up the list and tucked it inside my bag as well, noticing as I did that my hands were shaking. "Come on Katya, get it together," I tell myself aloud, "You're a grown woman for fucksake, not to mention this was all your idea." I shook out my fingers as if the tremors would simply fall away like magic. Stepping out of the car I straightened my shirt and ran my fingers through my hair. I hope he's not watching me through the window. I must look like a fumbling idiot out here. I walked up to the door and it opened just as I raised my hand to knock. I feel my breath hitch when his eyes connect with mine.

"Hey darlin', come on in," he stood aside to allow me to enter. "Hi, I hope you didn't have something else you needed to do tonight. I thought about it on the way over. I mean I just took this list home a few hours ago so..... If you need to do this another time, I completely understand." I'm standing in front of him in his foyer babbling incessantly. My internal voice screams at me, SHUT UP KATYA! JUST. SHUT. UP! Oh my God. I sound like a crazy woman right now. It's like my brain and my mouth are no longer connected. As I walk past him toward the living room I continue to spew word vomit. I can't seem to get it under control. I feel my face get hot under his gaze and a slow smile crosses his lips. "I'm surprised you're free actually," I continue when he doesn't speak, "I mean you've been around for like the past three days now. Naturally, I assume there are other things you probably need to do."

I ramble on without the slightest clue what I'm saying. Wordlessly he slipped his hand into mine, lacing our fingers together. I'm so wrapped up in my nervous ranting I don't even realize he steps closer to me. Our bodies are near enough to feel the heat that radiates between us. I still can't seem to shut up. He bites his bottom lip while flashing me the most wicked grin. A deep chuckle emanates from his throat. "I know you go to the gym a few days a week. Surely you haven't been recently and must want to go. I'd hate to cut into your workout time." He places one hand around my waist and I feel a shiver run up my spine. The delectable scent of his cologne surrounds me. He slides his other hand under my hair and rests it at the nape of my neck. So what do I do? You guessed it. I continue to babble mindlessly as I get lost in his eyes. My words begin to slow but continue to spill over nonetheless. "Or...or..maybe...some business....associates..you....need.....to...." He pulls me in close until our bodies are flush. With no space between us he rests his forehead on mine as his eyes bore down on my very soul.

"Darlin'.....shhhh...." he whispers. His lips brush gently against mine due to our close proximity. Instantly I fell silent. All I can do is nod my head as I melt in his arms. "Why don't we have a drink and unwind a minute before we jump into anything too serious? What do ya say gorgeous?" My voice fails me yet again and I simply nod my head in reply. Giving my waist a squeeze he plants a gentle kiss on the tip of my nose. He laughs harder this time, as he releases me, leading me over to the couch. "I'll be right back darlin'." Once he disappeared through the kitchen doorway I groaned and palmed my face. "Jesus Kit, way to play it cool," I chastised under my breath. Stupid doesn't even begin to cover how I'm feeling. I'm feeling more along the lines of mortified. What the hell is wrong with me?!? I move my hands upward and run them through my hair. I open my eyes to see a glass of wine hovering near my face. Glancing up at his face I take the glass with a slight smile. "Okay, I need you to try to relax, baby girl." I chuckle nervously before taking a drink. "Haha, I promise you I'm trying."

He smiles and sets the entire wine bottle on the table before sitting down next to me. "I had a feeling you might need more liquid courage," he indicates the bottle in front of me. "You're probably right." I down the glass and refill it to the rim. "Alright now, we aren't shooting tequila here. Slow down, I'm not looking to get you drunk." He sat his glass on the table in front of us. "Don't worry, I plan on drinking normally now. I just needed to get one in there to get this thing going." His laughter fills my ears and a blush creeps up my neck. "Don't laugh at me, I can embarrass myself, I don't need any help," I swat at him, making contact with his knee. We spent the next few minutes talking about nothing in particular. It takes around half an hour but eventually we are both leaning back impassively.