chapter 32 | Ache

I enter the code for my payment and hurry to retrieve my belongings, and I bow to the cashier in order to move towards y/n.

Once I get to them, the woman gives me the side-eye disrespectfully, for no good reason. "Leave us alone..." y/n grabs my arm to drift us away, but this woman addresses me. "Sir, you shouldn't touch a young girl that way. Who is she to you?"

I stop at this sudden remark, seeing her head towards us as she seems to not want to go away. "This is wrong to do that. Are you a pervert?"

"Ma'am," y/n steps before me to stand in-between us. "Do not talk like that to him. I'm an adult, so mind your own business instead of bothering strangers and having no manners at your old age," she responds with some rudeness. I react to this and pull her back. "Y/n, don't talk like that. That's fine."

"No, that's not fine," this woman doesn't give up, willing to piss me off and cause a lot of unease by dragging all the attention on us. "I'm pretty sure she's lying about her age because she knows she'll be in trouble if she doesn't. I know how a pedophile or pervert acts with young girls like her! She's for sure not even seventeen! I'm going to call the police—"

"Mom," a little boy asks for her attention, and she looks at him, before pointing her finger at me. "No, I'm protecting a little girl from a bad and dangerous man—"

"Ma'am," I interrupt her. "I think you should calm down because this is just a misunderstanding. She's nineteen, I'm in no way a pervert, we're just a couple, and we love each other. All right? There's no need to do this," I do my best to put an end to this. She chuckles at me and still makes the call. "I want to see your ID card," she addresses to y/n, but a man joins this to not help the situation at all but make me panic even more.

"Young girl, can you show me your ID card, please?" he asks in a more relaxed manner, making y/n huff but get her card out to show the evidence of what she said. "Let me see—"

"Don't touch me!" y/n tosses her hand away, reacting in a way she never did before. "Miss, calm down. All right? It's fine, we know you're nineteen, we just want to make sure you're safe," he speaks to her in a poised voice but glances up at me.

"Even if she's nineteen," the woman continues to blow a fuse, not letting us go and causing her son to cry. "What tells us he's not a pervert? He's more than thirty years old for sure! Only a pervert would touch—"

"Shut up! You do not talk about him like that!" y/n yells at her but forces me to tug on her arm a bit strongly to walk away. My heart is beating so fast that I do not know how to react, I'm anxious. I felt frozen on my spot and couldn't find the right words.

"Fucking bitch," she mutters out of anger. "Stop, y/n. Do not use that language..." I do my best to remain calm and not be affected by this whole thing.

"She doesn't have the right to do that..." a change in the tone of her voice slows me down. I set my eyes on her but see her cry. I slide my hand to hers and leave the mall before doing anything. I go out and step towards a corner where I know we will be alone.

Once we're there, I put the bags down and pull her in an embrace. "Hey...it's okay. We don't care."

She writhes her arms around me but sobs in my chest. "Why are you crying, baby...? We don't care about those people..." I pretend to be disregarding this issue, but she snivels. "I don't want people to call you that...it's not true..."