chapter 49 | Memories

"Are you busy today?" she asks me.

"Not really, are you?" I return the question. "I'm not either," she shakes her head and straightens her back now that she's done with everything. "Do you want to..." she doesn't end it, staring up at me while holding the door. "Do you want to come to my house?"

"Does anyone live with you?" I try to know if she rebuilt her life while I was far away, but she grins. "Yeah...my dog."

"Then I gladly say yes," I fiddle with my bag after this mini heart attack she just gave me. "Great, but my dog is raised well, so since you're a man," she closes the door to head to the driver's one. "He might not like you at first," she warns me, so I ask an important question beforehand. "What breed?"

"German shepherd, a trained one," her answer makes me backtrack a little. "Oh...that means if I touch you, I lose my hand, is that it?" I joke with her but correct my sentence at the exact second that it left me. "I mean, not that I'm planning to touch you or anything...but...you know what I meant..." I struggle.

She laughs at me. "I do. Don't worry, but I was just joking. He's still a puppy," she relieves me, getting me to breathe out. "Ah, good to know," I play it cool but see some sparkles in her eyes. "Anyway, I'm going to drive to my best friend's house, so you can just go home, and I'll come pick you up. Okay?"

"Okay, I still live in our—" I cut myself off immediately, hearing my terrible mistake. "In...the same house as before...I don't know if you still remember the location..."

"I do," she smiles and does not show any unease, allowing me to breathe out with no fear. "All right, see you in some minutes then. Be careful on the road," I give her a meaningful smile, and she says the same words to me before entering her car. I cannot help but be anxious at the thought of her driving a car, she still looks so young, it seems like a teenager is driving.

Whatever, I need to go back into my car and wait for her at my house, impatiently. I'm looking forward to it, we're finally going to be alone together, this feels like a dream to me. I always hoped this would happen, but never thought it would.

1 hour later...

"Here we are," she points at her house to make me stop since I insisted to be the one to drive the car and feel more at ease. It's not my fault, I still see her as a baby.

I park the car now that we're there, and we both get out. I walk towards her to give her the key, and she hurries to move into the snow to reach the front door and unlock it. "Have you been living here for a long time?" I question her, but she steps inside and makes me follow her, quickly to close the door. "For three years. Once I left...four years ago...I went back to my parents, but I made fast to rent this house and have my own privacy, my own life..." she takes her shoes and coat off as I'm doing the same but seeing her dog bark and jump on her. This German Shepherd is not a puppy at all. "Uhm... didn't you say you have a puppy?"

"I wanted you to be surprised," she smiles but hugs this big teddy bear.

"Well..." I clear my throat and glance away from this dog who could kill me if he wants to. "This is cute and cozy. I like it," I put my shoes down but look in front of me to see the living room and dining table placed on the right of it.

"Good to know you find it pretty," she takes my coat and hangs it in a cabinet where her coats and jackets seem to be. I fix my top while she's doing this, but she takes a pair of slippers out, pink ones. "You can wear those if you want. It's the ones my best friend never put on because he likes to stay with his socks only," she squats down before me and places them on the floor. "Thank you," I put them on and peek at the dog, this one who might look dangerous but seems adorable while jumping everywhere happily. "Come here, my baby," she passes her hand through his fluffy fur and moves towards the other room, so I walk along her steps.