Chapter 9: Carp Streamers

{Hana's P.O.V.}

  Yesterday's scenario after classes was a bit uncalled for... Like, I really didn't expect it to happen!

***(Yesterday)***

"Uh-Uhm... Ha-Hana-chan?" he stuttered nervously to ask me something.

"What is it Ringo-kun? What are you so nervous about?"

"Uhm... Ah... Eto...?" He blabbered while scratching his head. And honestly, I could see him blush. It was somehow cute, but I was also nervous thinking what he'd ask me.

"Come on. Spit it out!" I said as I let out a giggle.

He then let it all out, "Would you go out on a date with me tomorrow?!"

My eyes widened with shock, "A da-date?"

"N-No no no no no....! I me-mean a friendly date between friends! Because you know, tomorrow's the opening of the Carp Streamers, and I thought that we could hang out, and it would be a great opportunity for us to know each other more..." he said as he looked into another direction, and scratched his head yet again and blushed.

I was happy on how sweet he was being right now... So, I gave in to his request, "Okay... How about we'll meet tomorrow after lunch at the Carp Streamer's entrance?"

"Sure! Tomorrow after lunch sounds awesome! Around 1:30?" he asked and I gave a nod. He then plastered a huge smile on his face as he said a goodbye.

I couldn't help but laugh on how cute and childish he was being right now.

But... A date? This is the first time I'll ever be on one.

***Back to the present...***

I was walking towards the entrance, when I saw Ringo standing there, patiently waiting for me. I saw a few girls who approached him and flirted with him, Ringo may be childish, but he's quite handsome too when he puts on a serious expression. He then politely apologized to the girls and waved them goodbye, and they happily bid him a farewell too. Boy, Ringo-kun's popular!

Moments after the girls left, he caught me walking towards him. As he saw me, he formed his huge smile, waved out to me, and called out oh so enthusiastically, "Hana-chaaaaaaan!!! I'm over heeeeeeeere!!!"

Now this is embarrassing...

Because of Ringo being so cheerful and loud, people began to whisper around. But even though they were whispering, it was loud enough for me to hear.

"Is that her boyfriend? He's so cute!"

"I'm so jealous of them! They totally are a cute couple!"

"I want a happy-go-lucky boyfriend like that!"

"I prefer to have an older brother like that!"

It was a little cheesy hearing the crowds whispers...

When I got near to Ringo, I whispered to him, "Ringo-kun, don't be so loud... You're catching other people's attention..."

Ringo paused and blinked twice before blurting out, "EEHHH?!!! I'm so so so sorry! I didn't mean to!"

"Shhh.... Ringo-kun..." I place my pointer at my lips to show him that he needs to lower his voice.

Ringo-kun raised his head and looked at the crowd, and as expected, they were all staring at us... We were even more embarrassed... But we just laughed at each other and continued to walk around...

We enjoyed ourselves staring at all the amazing designs of various carp streamers, it was almost like there was a festival taking place, even though there was one right now. There were also food stalls where we both bought takoyaki.

It was very fun chatting during our entire 'friendly date'. I learned so much about Ringo. I learned that Ringo-kun was the youngest among his seven siblings, and all of his siblings were male! Whoah! It must be a fun life for Ringo having seven older brothers, I can just imagine all of them fighting over food when it comes to dinner time. Hahaha...

Ringo-kun then snapped me back into reality, "Hana-chan, thanks for agreeing on today. Did you have fun on this simple outing?" he asked me with a warm smile.

"Even though it was simple, I still had a blast. Thanks for asking me out today Ringo-kun! I had so much fun!", I answered him with the sweetest smile I could give.

I really had fun...

"Okay, how about one las--"

Tii Tidi Tii Tii Tidi~~~

We were disturbed by a loud ringtone. Obviously, it was Ringo's cellphone.

"Sorry Hana-chan, I gotta take this." he said after looking at the caller's I.D..

"Sure, go ahead..."

He answered the call, "Hello ani?... What?! ... Why now?!... Awe 'common! ... Fine... Ja-ne!"

"You're brother?"

"Yeah, sorry Hana, but something urgent came up at home and they want me there pronto. I'm sorry I have to leave you." he said and looked all depressed.

"Nah... It's okay... What's important is we had fun... Besides, your ani needs you now, so go ahead... I'll be fine... Really."

"Yeah? Okay... Sorry again though... I'll meet you at school on Monday, kay?" he brightened up a bit.

"Of course we will..."

"'Kay~! Take care!" he said as he waved me a goodbye.

"Bye bye!" I waved him back...

I still tried to walk through the streets still looking at the streamers, then suddenly, I found a familiar face -- Takumi-kun!

"He-Hey Takumi-kun! Did you come to see the streamers too?"

He had a blank expression on, I didn't understand him.

He then spoke up, "Why were you having so much fun with Ringo?"

"Wh-What?" I blurted out. Did he see us? "Me and Ringo-kun are friends, a-and he wanted to spend time with me, a-and--" I try to explain, but was stuttering for the uneasiness I felt.

He stopped me, "It's not fair..."

We were both silent for a while. But I broke the silence.

"Wanna go to the cafe I work at? Th-There's a new parfait and I-I think you'll like it." I looked at a streamer in embarrassment. Then I peeked at him. He smiled and replied, "Sure. I'd love to try it."

The tension had been lessened, making me lit up a bit. We then commenced a little chat while walking to my part-time job.

I was relieved that Takumi didn't feel sad anymore...

But why is being with him make me so much more nervous than when I was with Ringo-kun?

I wonder...