Talks and Distress

Zay's POV

      "I don't know, it might work if you say it like that." Ares says and I look at him for a moment, wondering if being in a relationship has turned him into a complete dumbass.

        "See this wouldn't be so hard if he wasn't human. If he was literally anything else, he would already know." I say with exasperation, throwing my hands up in the air and Beth nods at me softly with a sympathetic gaze.

        "And we can't forget the whole girlfriend thing." She says and I glare at her.

        "And the straight thing." Ares adds and I groan in frustration before looking at the two in annoyance. I point my finger at Beth first who's trying not to laugh at my expense.

        "You are supposed to be making me feel better." I turn my finger towards Ares accusingly, even if, as always, he appears unbothered by everything I do. "And you are supposed to be giving me advice. I hate to tell you, but you're both shit at your jobs." I tell them and Ares chuckles before motioning me to follow him.

        "Come on, I already told Thomas we were going to come see him after I got off work." He says and I perk up a bit at the idea of seeing Ares' Lock. The two of them are the best couple I know, very sassy and extremely funny to be around. Back when I first met the Vampire, I used my moves on him but of course, Ares wasn't having it. I turn around and wave at Beth who returns the gesture as she continues to get herself ready, more than likely waiting on Syd and Brice.

        "Bye Beth! We're going to see our boyfriend." I tell her and Ares snorts ahead of me as I throw my string bag over my shoulder as we make our way to the door.

      It's then that I notice that Elliot didn't come and say goodbye when he left, or even check the locker for all of his stuff. I guess I upset him more than I thought. Maybe I should just do us both a favor and give up. Following Ares, I punch in my time and grab my ticket, shoving the flimsy paper in my pocket.

       He holds the door open for me as I come out of the locker room and we walk down the hallway in comfortable silence.

       "Hello, boys." Ms. Wendy greets when we pass her desk and Ares gives her a genuine smile instead of a smirk, the only person to get one besides Thomas himself.

        I wave at the receptionist and blow her a kiss which she dodges with a laugh as we continue on our way out of the building. The security guard station is empty as we pass it and I'm slightly upset, missing some platonic flirting isn't good for the soul. Ares and I separate to our own cars that we drove this morning, that happened to be parked next to each other.

     I throw my bag in the passenger seat and start up the car just as Ares pulls out of the parking space and begins to drive off. I throw my car into reverse and once I'm clear, I follow his car out of the parking lot.

      The drive over to the restaurant that Thomas works at isn't far, and we reach it in less than ten minutes.

      I park beside Ares and hop out of the car, following him to the door and into the restaurant. His excitement, though not shown on his face, is clear in his speed to get to his lover. The greeter at the podium goes to welcome us, but I guess he recognizes Ares and he lets us pass with a nod and a smile.

      We walk to the back where the bar is, and sure enough there's Thomas mixing drinks for the customers he has at the bar.

        When he sees his lover, his whole face lights up in excitement, and I can't help the pang of jealously that flies through me at the sight, so much more prominent than before now that I have someone. And while I'm jealous of their closeness, I also know that they are the one couple I know that deserves it all. Every inch of happiness and blessing that they are able to get. They deserve it all.