Patience and Surprises

Zay's POV

     When I walked into work today, the last think I expected was to be told that Elliot called out. And honestly, it hurt a lot worse than I would like to admit.

         Regardless of whether or not we've been on speaking turns or just awkwardly walking together towards our next station, he's never blatantly ignored me.

         I miss my sexy man, whose not really my man, and his soft crooked grins.

         But, like Ares said, I have to pump the brakes on the Super speed, ironically, and take things a different pace. A human pace. Which is the slowest shit ever and I would kill myself faster with a spoon faster than Elliot makes a decision. But joke as I may about it and laugh, as I do about emotions, I know this isn't easy for him.

       From the way he looked when he walked away yesterday after our shift, this looks like one of the hardest decisions he's ever had to make.

        Which makes me feel a bit guilty over wanting him so bad.

        Especially when it looks like this is the last thing he wants, even if he admitted to feeling the Mate bond. I've heard of Supers who think that giving up your option of love is annoying, the ones who don't understand that even without it, that person would always be perfect for you. I never thought about how it would feel to a human, I don't think any of us did.

       I feel eyes on me and I lift mine to see Syd looking at me with furrowed eyebrows. The Witch is the most nonchalant, unbothered, unfeeling person I know, which made it ironic that her Hook is Brice.

        "What?" I ask her as I try to pick through my measly salad. The longer I go without Elliot the more it's killing me. And this time it's not just me being dramatic. My limbs feel like dead weight as I make them move the way I want. I have a stuffy headache and my mouth feels like it's filled with cotton balls. Frankly, I feel like shit, but I neglected that from the conversation yesterday, not wanting Elliot to choose me only because of guilt.

        "You look so..... bleh." Syd tells me with a glare before she goes back to eating and I grumble into my salad not at all amused.

         "Says the goth Dark Witch." I say spitefully and she snorts as she picks up her sandwich and takes a bite of it, her black lipstick never blurring and I'm convinced that she uses Magic for it.

         "At least I'm not depressed." She says and I glare at her as I push my salad away, no longer in the mood to force the food down my throat. I turn my head and look outside the window, the bench from yesterday catching my gaze. I try not to let the disappointment fill me as well as the apprehension for whats to come but it's a little hard.

         It's fucking impossible and I don't understand why Elliot can't see that I'm the prettiest girl in land. I pout it myself as I frown, thinking of that stupid sexy man.

         "You're going to pop a vessel. Your brain is too small to be thinking so hard." Syd tells me as she finishes her lunch and wipes her mouth, her lips still a matte perfect black, definitely magic. I flip her off with as much energy that I can muster, which is none, but it's the thought that counts.

        "Fuck you, Syd. I hope Brice buys you something pink." I tell her and she rolls her eyes at me before her lips twitch unexpectedly. Before her and her Hook meet, Sydney was just as cynical and just as much as you snarky goth bitch, but she was lonely and barely spoke, much less graced us with smiles.

         " I'll have you know that he bought me a pink choker last week. I wear it just for him." She says, trying to turn away but I see the faintest blush imaginable cross her feature and her cat eyes soften a tad.