Chapter 45: Friends are family

Cindy's POV

It's finally Christmas!

The day I've been waiting for!

Lies!

I put off my alarm and skip downstairs. Christmas has always been my favourite holiday.

Lies!

Okay fine, not my favourite. My second.

More lies!

I sigh. Let's rewind this. I wake up to the shrill sound of my alarm. Wondering why I even set an alarm on an holiday.

I drag my feet downstairs, not bothering to wear flip flops. Christmas was one holiday that everyone in my family loved. Everyone except me. Even the maids loved it.

My parents always went into the role. They'd buy a huge expensive fancy tree, that's of course, already been decked up.

Then they'd send their P.A to get gifts and wrap them up, leaving them under the tree at night. I had gotten accustomed to that already, so you could have imagined my surprise when I got downstairs and there was no tree.

No tree, no gifts. No Christmas decorations. Nothing. The house was as quiet as a graveyard. I frowned, going into the kitchen. No breakfast. That's strange. I look at the clock, 10:34am. Breakfast's usually ready by 7.

"Martha?" I call and no one answers.

Lily!" I call, but no one answers. What's going on?

I walk to mum and dad's room and knock.

No one answers. I open it a bit and look inside. The bed is made and the room is spotless.

"Cindy sweetie, what's wrong?" I hear from behind me and I jump.

"Mother. The house was looking deserted so I decided to check if you were around" I say and she nods.

"We're all in the garden, a friend of mine needed to take a few pictures there. We decided against waiting for you, considering this is your worst holiday" She says, nonchalantly.

"Bit if you are interested, I advice you change out of this scrappy clothes and put on a befitting one. I still wonder why you won't accept the night wears from my PA. The ones you buy are really..."

"Can you not? I'm not coming out, don't wait for me"

"Wasn't planning to sweetie" she says and leaves. I sigh and turn to my room.

I wash up, put on a random outfit and leave the house. I don't know where but, I'm going somewhere.

I drive around, rolling my eyes at the christmas decorations. Honestly, it hardly shows where I stay. Once in a while, you might see little snowflakes or at most a flurry.

It does snow in California, just in mountains and some particular places, a lot. But where I stay, nah. And I'm pretty grateful for it though. I kinda live the sun.

It's raining season already, but I doubt it's gonna rain today, more like hope.

My phone rings.

'Yeah?'

'You didn't take your pills today, did you?' Amelia says in a smug tone and I roll my eyes.

'Merry Christmas to you too'

'Oh, yeah! The real reason I called. So like, my mum said I should invite you for lunch! Whadaya say?'