Chapter 122

Chapter 122 - Was this an opportunity to learn more about his romantic history? (1)

Father Ruan had outdone himself with preparing tonight's feast; the spread was worthy of a New Year's banquet. Little Wang loved to eat the fresh homemade dumplings. His personal bowl contained mini-dumplings that Father Ruan made specially for him. The hungry rascal was able to eat an entire dumpling in a single bite. Several bites later, he had emptied his bowl and wanted more.

Song Tingshen normally wasn't a drinker, but he was in an extra good mood today, so he cracked open a beer and had a drink with Father Ruan. The two rarely talked because they had little in common. In fact, Father Ruan felt he was inferior to Song Tingshen and wasn't able to enjoy the dignity normally accorded to a father-in-law. Usually, when they talked, he would go out of his way to flatter Song Tingshen. It wasn't because Song Tingshen was wealthy, but because in his simple way, Father Ruan believed that if he treated his son-in-law better, Song Tingsen would also treat his daughter better.

Father Ruan was glad to see Song Tingshen was drinking. After a few beers and a glass of wine, Song Tingshen became slightly intoxicated and opened up. The two, normally reserved men, were able to chat non-stop. Father Ruan didn't even notice that Mother Ruan was winking at him. Mother Ruan winked so much that her eyelids became tired and eventually she gave up and went to watch TV with Ruan Xia in the living room and left the two alone.

Although Mother Ruan and Ruan Xia were not in the same room as Song Tingshen, they were still close enough to be heard, so Mother Ruan was hesitant to speak openly with Ruan Xia.

However, just by seeing Mother Ruan's expression, Ruan Xia could tell what she wanted to say - that her wish was for Ruan Xia to live a good life with Song Tingshen.

Ruan Xia thought to herself, "What exactly is a good life?" She considered her current situation - her life wasn't bad at all. Her character in the novel had face, money, free time, and a cute son. The only thing she was missing was love. But what kind of nonsense is love?

In her current circumstance, she only has two choices. She can either end her fake marriage with Song Tingshen and seek love elsewhere, or she can try to love the man already in front of her, Song Tingshen. It just so happens that she was not interested in either alternative.

***

After dinner, Ruan Xia drove home. Song Tingshen rarely drank, so even a few drinks was enough for him to feel drunk.

Little Wang, sitting in the child safety seat, was discussing serious topics with his father. He asked, "Dad why do girls ignore the truth - is it because they like to hear lies?" Little Wang couldn't help but dwell on Duoduo's behavior from earlier today. When she ran away in anger and refused to play with him, it affected him greatly, otherwise, with his goldfish personality, he would have already forgotten about what happened.

After glancing at his wife, who appeared to be focused on driving, Song Tingshen replied, "Dad isn't a girl, so he doesn't understand their thoughts". In these thirty-odd years, he had never considered a woman's thoughts or feelings.

"Then dad, who do you think is the most beautiful woman in the world?", asked Little Wang excitedly.

Ruan Xia interest was also piqued. She knew that Song Tingshen normally doesn't tell lies in front of children - was this an opportunity to learn more about his romantic history?