Untitled Part 48

Chapter 48 – Banquet

Mid-Autumn Festival, Shao Le Banquet.

The court officials who attend the feast today are not as simple as they look. To be able to keep their positions after power struggled, it proved that their hearts are not as transparent as a mirror. As long as you stay on the good side with the right person at present, it will not take long before getting promoted to a higher rank.

Su Qing doesn't like it, such a noisy occasion is really not suitable for her. If it was not to meet Su Shisheng, she would not agree with Gu Zifu to come to such a place.

In her idle time, she heard Chuntao mention that recently the Qing Luan Palace is very lively. The young daughters of ministers' families diligently entered the palace to accompany Grand Consort Duan. Sometimes they stayed for dinner, only the sky getting dark then reluctantly left the palace. When Su Shizhuo was the crown prince, he had many concubines in his harem, but the position of the main crown princess consort remained empty and didn't even have the side consort.

Now that the crown prince has become the emperor, the harem cannot be left without a master. Thus many court officials have already had plans in their hearts. Su Qing raised her eyes looking at the carriages not far away from her. Sure enough, she saw a lot of young ladies, holding their mother's arms intimately, while talking and laughing walking into the palace.

Only hearing the newcomers laughing, not hearing the old ones cry yet.

Living in this deep palace, one has to be vigilant all the time, for fear of being framed and harmed. Come to think about it, do status and fame really that important? It's so important that even the happiness and well-being of one's own flesh and blood can be ignored?

Speaking of that suddenly reminded her of Consort Wen at that time......

While lost in her thought, feeling the sudden pain on her cheek, she frowned slightly, looked up and saw Gu Zifu's eyebrows exuding lazily, and looking at her with teasing eyes.

The Seventh Lord's hands are well-defined, long, and good-looking. Because in his early years of sword practice, it left a thin callus on his fingertips, leaving slightly scratched on her face. Feeling uncomfortable and wrong, she took a few steps back, looked away from him.

Gu Zifu wanted to tease her even more, he reached out his hand to play with her hair. Su Qing was even more annoyed and angry and glared at him angrily.

Wen Zhen who has been watching them the whole time, his complexion now was darkened, and fiercely glared at Gu Zifu. If he had his knife in his hand right now, he would surely chop Gu Zifu's head without hesitation.

Wen Lingzhuo was very familiar with his old man's temper. He forced out a bitter laugh and immediately went in between the two, blocking their line of sight. He then tried to change the subject, "I did not expect to see the Seventh Lord here, very coincidental, hah."

"Pah" A loud crisp sound, Su Qing smack Gu Zifu's back with her small hand.

Even she was startled by her own action. But she had already done it. It's no use to be afraid. Anyway, her mood felt a lot better now with a faint sense of joy. She then quickly hid behind Chuntao and did not dare to look at Gu Zifu.

Humph, who let him always bully her.

Seeing that no one paid attention to him, Wen Lingzhuo's twitched and coughed twice awkwardly before turning to Su Qing and said modestly, "Younger cousin, this is my father. According to seniority, you should call him uncle."

Upon hearing that, General Wen, who has always been on the battlefield, covered with bloodshed from countless battles, suddenly stiff. His eyes are as sharp as a knife looking at Su Qing full of complex emotions, yet with a little trace of caution and anticipation.