Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve: Revenge

After the funeral

We all gathered back at Ma's house. The funeral was huge, which showed what an amazing person she was. People were still crying, sharing memories and overall just honoring the life of Ma. Macy Evelyn King.

Shantel walks up to me, hugging me tightly. I was happy that even through everything going on with Damien, she still decided to come show her respect. I love that about her.

"How you hanging in there?". She asks while gently rubbing my arm.

"I'm doing my best to process this all". I truthfully tell her. "I miss her". I was trying my hardest to hold back my tears.

"She was caring, sweet and didn't deserve to go so soon, I'm really sorry best friend". She embraces me into a hug.

"I wish there was something I could of done". I confess to Shantel.

"Listen". She grabs a gentle hold of both of my hands and looks into my eyes. "In her final moments on earth she made sure she saved you and her grandson, even with her life at stake she still put others before her, she was a good woman and I know you did everything you could of possibly done to save her".

I started to cry. Tears just started pouring out of my eyes uncontrollably. I was fighting so hard to restrain myself from breaking down. But I just couldn't hold it anymore. Shantel was right, she did everything in her power to protect me and my son, for that, I can't thank her enough.

After a few hours. People start to leave. Some were still eating and talking. Shantel was preparing to leave as well. My mom FaceTimed me from the hospital since she couldn't be here in person.

"I haven't seen Damien since I got here, just the funeral". Shantel tells me.

"I brought him some food, I'm about to check on him right now". I tell her. "He hasn't really spoken to anyone".

"Okay, call me when you get home".

"I will". I smile and give her a goodbye hug.

I take a deep breath as I walk up the stairs towards Damien's old room. I knock then open the door to find him sitting on his old bed looking down at the floor. I step inside and close the door behind me, taking a seat on the bed next to him.

"I see you didn't eat anything". I say to him.

"I have no appetite". He answers fixing himself on the bed. "I can just hear her voice , telling me I better be asleep, telling me stories even when I got older, our entire conversations about life".

I rub his shoulder. "I'm sorry".

"No, I should be sorry". He turns to face me fully. "You're the only girl that my mom ever told me she genuinely loves and cares about and I've been treating you horrible, especially with that entire Tracy situation, I was so tired of you not wanting me, I wanted to hurt you because I was hurt and that was wrong of me Summer".

"You were going through a lot, you lost your best friend and I should of tried harder to console you instead of walking out".

"That doesn't give me the right though, she's your friend". He takes a deep breath. "And I was being such an asshole after Billy died, you're carrying my child and that shouldn't have been the way I reacted towards you, no matter what I'm going through".

"That was never my friend, she crossed the line though and so did you". I take my hand off his shoulder. "We made a promise that we wouldn't sleep with other people, I guess thats what hurt me the most".