Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen: Stay With Me

6 months later

"I'm sorry it took me so long to get here mommy". I say to my mother as she lays on her hospital bed. She was losing her battle to Ovarian cancer.

"It's okay baby". She says running her hand through my hair. "You know I love you so much right?".

Tears started to fall from my face. "I love you so much mom, it's always been the two of us how am I going to do this without you?".

"You can and you will". She replies weakly. "Tell Na'sir I love him so much".

"I will". I promise her.

"And Damien? Remember what we talked about, please take care of my daughter". She tells Damien. He was sitting next to her on the opposite side of me. She rubs his face. "I have loved you as a son and I will always see you as one". She tells him.

"I know mom, and I'll take care of her and Na'sir, I'll protect them with my life". He promises her.

She starts to blow raspy. "You guys coming to see me in the morning?".

"Yes, of course, and this time we will Bring your grandson". I tell her.

"Okay baby, I love you".

"I love you, just please try to stay with me".

"I'll try my hardest". She replies with a weak smile.

               We never made it back to the hospital the next day. My mother passed away in her sleep. She was finally at peace and was no longer enduring the pains that ached her entire body. I miss her. But I'm happy I got to say my goodbyes.

{•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••}

One week later

"Does the family have anything to say?". The pastor says to the entire church.

Damien rubs my back. Giving me the confidence to stand up and walk to the Podium. I use the piece of folded cloth in my hand to wipe away my tears.

Clearing my throat. I unravel the piece of paper that had what I was going to say on it. But then something came over me, making me crush it.

"I can stand here and say a million things about my mother, I can share all the stories she told me as a child growing up, I can even talk about what a wonderful person she was but then again everyone who met her knew that". I take a deep breath. "She was kind and selfless, she cared about everyone around her and supported them, she was my rock". I begin to stutter on my words because of the tears that kept sliding down onto my face. "She was my best friend, my everything".

Damien stands up with Na'sir in his arms. He walks over towards me and embraces me into a hug as I broke down. I hear people in the church , crying and screaming in pain. I was laying my mother to rest, I don't know what I was going to do without her.

{•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••}

Two weeks after the funeral

I walk into the entrance of the client. Today seems colder than usual. I felt colder than usual. I take a seat at my desk and enter my login information but I was denied access.