Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty Six: I Got You

I insert the Iv into my patient's arm and start her on the new drip that the doctor prescribed. Even though it was only the afternoon, I feel so overwhelmed and tired.

"Nurse Smith, there's an emergency in room three that we need assistance with".

"Cathy, can you finish up here?". I ask the nurse that I had in training.

"Yes Nurse Smith". She replies with a warm smile.

"For the hundredth time, just call me Summer". I tell her with a warm smile before making my way to room three.

Once I got there, a middle aged woman is crying wildly. She continues to rock back and forth on the bed while some of the nurses on my floor surround her. I quickly pull out her chart, scanning it over before learning that she was in a car accident.

"Ma'am? Do you know where you are? Can you please tell me your name?". I question her calmly, I didn't want to upset her anymore than she already was.

"My name is Anna". She replies finally making eye contact with me.

"Okay Anna, that's such a beautiful name, can you tell me what happened?".

"I.....I was driving and then the truck came.....Simon...". Her voice begins to break as she breaks into a fit of tears again.

"Anna, I'm going to have to sedate you, just until we have everything under control and I can learn what is going on with Simon? Who is he to you?".

"My son......He just turned five, I was driving from his friends birthday party when a truck hit his side of the car...... I hit my head but I'm fine, I'm so stupid". She begins to cry again. "How could I forget to buckle him in correctly?, I do it every single day".

"Her son is currently in surgery, he has some internal bleeding and some swelling around his brain, we still can't tell what's going on". A nurse name Carey explains to me.

"Okay, I want you to go ahead and sedate her , just to calm her down, and get me a full CT scan on her head, I want to know if everything is fine". I tell Carey.

"Okay Head Nurse".

{•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••}

6 hours later

"Knock knock". A familiar voice says from outside my door.

"Come in". I simply respond.

Damien comes inside of my office, closing the door behind him. He immediately smiles. I drop the fork out of my hand and put my salad to the side. Things were still tense between us. As much as I love Damien, it still hurts me to know he had sex with someone else and didn't tell me about it, whether we were together or not.

"I came to surprise you with lunch but I see you already have something to eat". He says walking over towards me and placing a bag from Applebee's Bees on my desk.

"Aren't you suppose to be at work?". I ask with a hint of attitude. I was already having a rough day at work and the last thing I needed right now was to see Damien's face or put up with his bullshit.

"I know but I took the rest of the evening off, first I wanted to surprise you, spend some of the day with you and then go pick up Nas early from school so we can have quality time together".

"Why? So you can go show him his new sister?".

"Summer, don't be like that, please". He pleads with me.