Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen: This Never Ends

2 months later

       New house, new look, new me, fresh beginnings. My mom was off at her treatment. And here I was, at home, sitting down with my best friend watching movies on Netflix.

       Na'sir was sleeping in his play pen next to us in the living room. Life has been quiet since the move, Damien and I talk but only when it had something to do with our son. I've made it clear that if he wanted a family , he needed to take care of what he was doing first.

"I have to tell you something". Shantel says to me.

"Okay, spill it".

"You know Doctor Maurice?". She asks.

I give her a nod indicating that I do. "Yes".

"Well we kinda sorta been messing around for about 9 months now".

"What?". I sit up. "And when were you going to tell me?, Ms. I'm keeping a secret from my bestfriend".

"I mean, I didn't think it was that serious but it's gotten serious and I took a pregnancy test yesterday and I'm pregnant".

"Oh my god!".

"Summer, please don't be too excited, I didn't tell him yet and I don't know how he's going to react to it". She puts a handful of popcorn into her mouth.

"I mean, you're a great person and you're going to be a even greater mother, look at how well you've done with your nephew/god son, you're absolutely amazing with him". I encourage her.

"Thank you". She embraces me into a tight hug. "I just hope he's as excited as you are".

"He will be, watch". I kiss her forehead. "I'm going to be a god mom".

We both begin to smile.

{••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••}

One week later

"He's been doing that a lot lately". I say to Damien. I was referring to Na'sir trying to stand up while you burp him. Baby boy has some strong legs.

"He's getting big". Damien kisses his cheek. "I wish my mom was here to hold him, I know she would of been so happy".

"She still is, just because she isn't here doesn't mean she's not watching over him".

"Summer". My mom says to me as she walks into the hotel room. "Damien". She grunts seeing him.

"Play nice". I say to her.

"The fact that I haven't hit him upside his head already shows that I'm playing nice". She sternly says back to me.

"Mom". Damien says to her. "I'm sorry, you know I am, I'm trying to get out but it's not a simple as everyone thinks, if I don't handle this from now then me, her , you or the baby wouldn't be safe, even if I quit the game completely". He explains to her.

"Just make it quick because I'm not losing my daughter or grandson". She gives him a tight hug. "But that doesn't mean I stopped loving you".

"I love you too mom". He says to her embracing the hug.

I smile. I love their bond. I know that my mom is only being strict because she's worried about our safety. But she's also worried about his.

           I don't want my son growing up without a father, especially since I can prevent all of it from happening. I know what it feels like to not have a father figure around, I don't want my son to have to go through that.