Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One: The Miracle Of Life

1 week later

"I'm so tired". Shantel complains. "And my stomach hurts, I might be hungry".

"You just ate though, not even an hour ago".

"An hour is a long ass time".

Na'sir was doing his baby talk in the stroller as we push him through another store. We haven't went shopping in forever and we both needed things for ourselves and our babies.

"How does it feel to be engaged?". She asks going through the clothing rack in front of her.

I look at the beautiful engagement ring on my finger. A smile makes it way across my face. I honestly didn't know how to answer that question. Everything felt normal still but in a way I was excited.

"It feels, I can't really explain it but it's a good feeling, I still have butterflies just thinking about it". I blush as I remember the engagement.

"I'm just happy you guys are finally happy, this drama shit is for the birds".

"Speaking about Drama, when is Maurice going to call it quits with his wife?". I ask her.

Her smile instantly fades. "He's not, I didn't tell you this because you had a lot going on but he wanted me to get an abortion, he claims I was trying to set him up but eventually he came around, he told me he's going to be there for the baby but he's not leaving his wife or son behind".

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to overstep". I apologize.

"You're not overstepping though, I should of knew something was off about him, I just didn't go with my gut feeling, whole time home boy is married with a family and if I didn't get pregnant then he probably wouldn't have told me". She throws a shirt into her cart angrily.

"He's an asshole, if you want me to beat his ass you know all you have to do is say go". I assure her.

She gives me a nod. "If I don't beat you to it".

{•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••}

"Summer!". Shantel yells my name.

I place a sleeping Na'sir inside his crib and make my way downstairs. When I get to the kitchen, I see water on the floor and a panic on Shantel's face.

"Oh my god, your water broke!". I run towards her, helping her stand up a little. "Damien!". I scream.

"I'm in labor, not deaf". She retorts giving me a mug.

Damien bolts into the kitchen with his gun in hand. "What happened?". He asks confused.

"Well apparently I'm about to get shot while having a baby". She squeezes my hand tightly.

"We have to get her to the hospital". I point towards the gun. "And put that shit away right now before you scare her".

Damien places the gun inside of the kitchen draw and grabs his car keys off the table. He was being so paranoid lately. It scares me sometimes even though I know he's just trying his best to protect us.

"I'm going to get Na'sir ready to go with us to the hospital". Damien says walking towards the stairs.

"No!". Shantel screams. "I can't go to the hospital".

"Why the hell not?". Damien asks her raising an eyebrow in the process.

"Yeah? Why not?".

She places my hand under her dress and I felt wet hair. But we waxed so I know for a fact it wasn't because of her vagina. Then the realization hit me.