Chapter Twenty Five

Chapter Twenty five: Family Drama

I flip the pancake on the griddle. Then I season the eggs with salt and pepper. I'm currently up cooking breakfast before my first day at a new hospital. After the interview last week, I finally get to go in today.

"You're in such a good mood". Damien says to me as he enters inside of the kitchen, and then places Nas into his high chair.

"I'm excited for today, I can't wait to see how it's going to go, I'm officially a nurse and I have a office instead of working with the nurses station". I tell him as I share his plate.

He takes the plate and begins to eat. "Aren't you like the head nurse or something like that?".

"Yes, I'm basically in charge of all the nurses on my floor, it's a big step". I give Nas some cut up scramble eggs with pancakes and share my own plate.

"I'm proud of you". He reaches over and kisses me. "Plus that scrub sits so nicely on your nice body".

"Do not start with me Damien, plus you have to take Nas to school today and he has a speech appointment after you pick him up". I tell him as I hurry to eat my breakfast.

"Okay, is Shantel coming over after work?".

"No, but we do have some things plan this weekend and would really appreciate you watching the kids for us".

"Saturday?". He helps clean up Nas and picks him up out the high chair.

"Yes, plus we're supposed to meet with this fancy designer for the wedding". I kiss Nas on the cheek and then peck Damien's lips. "Have a great day mommy's sweet boy". I tell Nas.

"Okay mama". He replies with a smile showing his dimples.

"I hope this one doesn't quit on us". Damien says with a laugh.

"Then we just won't get married". I give him a quick shrug as I grab my purse and my car keys off the kitchen island.

"Don't play with me Summer". I hear him tell me from behind.

"Fine!".

{•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••}

Saturday Afternoon

"I know you're suppose to be planning the wedding and all but your birthday is coming up". Shantel tells me.

"I'm not too thrilled for my birthday". I tell her truthfully. "After my mom passed away it hasn't really been the same".

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring it up".

"You didn't know, it's fine".

We continue to walk towards the restaurant. We got inside and quickly got seated because they were just about to start their rush hour. I order the seasoned Salmon while Shantel ordered a veggie burger.

As we wait for our meals to come, she takes out her phone and shows me a picture of Heavenly and her father Andrew, well Dr. Maurice as we all know him as. She was holding a cup of ice cream and smiling wildly.

"He wants to introduce her to his wife but I'm scared". She confides in me.

"Scare of what?".

"She still doesn't know about the divorce that he's filing and honestly, I don't want to be with him". She shifts uncomfortably in her chair. "Even though I'm thankful for my daughter, Andrew isn't who I thought he was".