Chapter Twenty Eight

Chapter Twenty Eight: And If I Die Before I Wake, I Pray The Lord My Soul To Take.

3 days later

          I knock on Shantel's apartment door. After a few more knocks she answers and a smile makes its way across her face. She quickly hugs me, pulling me inside with her.

"I'm so sorry I haven't been answering your calls". She immediately says as she begins to pick up Heavenly's toys that were scattered all across the living room. "I've been busy with work, trying to find a new job, house hunting and overall being a single mom".

"You don't have to explain yourself, I'm glad you're okay". I help her pick up some of the toys and place them in the toy chest that was in the corner of the living room. "I finally have some time to check on you and catch up".

"I'll make us some tea". She says walking towards the kitchen. We weren't coffee drinkers if you can tell. "Or maybe some whine?".

"Tea is fine, I can't have any whine right now". I smile shyly.

"And why is that?". She begins to fix us the cups for the tea and turns on the kettle to let the water hot.

"I'm pregnant, I found out three days ago".

"What!?". She squeals excitedly. "Are you serious? Did you guys go to a doctor yet?".

"I set an appointment, the earliest one I could get was next week". I tell her with excitement lacing my voice.

"I'm so happy for you guys, does that mean you going to get married while pregnant?".

"No we pushed the wedding to a year from now, which gives us plenty of time to plan".

"I hope it's a girl". She smiles at me. "I kind of want to talk to you about that too".

"What Heavenly?". I question. "Is something wrong?".

          She sits down next to me and burst into tears. I pull her into a tight hug. Whatever it is, it must be very serious because Shantel barely cried. It scares me.

"Andrew came over about two months ago, we got into this huge argument and he started hitting me". She takes a deep breath to calm herself down. "He raped me Summer, and now I'm pregnant with a baby I didn't want and I'm scared to even tell him because he wants nothing but to take Heavenly away from me, his Wife too, he told her about the affair and she threatened me".

"Shantel, why didn't you come to Damien and I? We would of helped you". I started crying, I didn't realize it until now. "I'm so sorry I wasn't there".

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I was scared to hell and I knew Damien would literally kill him". She gets up and makes the tea, handing me my cup.

I place it down on the coffee table. "Now I have no choice but to tell him Shantel, and I'm sorry but there's nothing you can do to stop me from saying it".

"I was going to buy a gun, if he attacks me again I'd just kill him in self defense". She tells me. "I'll tell Damien when I'm ready to".

"He is a white man, you are not going to get away with killing him in no damn self defense". I warn her. "Just let me talk things over with Damien, stay away from Andrew in the meantime, I don't want him causing you , Heavenly or your unborn child any harm that he has already done".

"Is it wrong of me for wanting to have an abortion?",

"It's not but I can't tell you what to do with your own body, a baby is a blessing regardless of how he or she is made, you're going to be a great mom to this baby as well, nothing will change that, but at the end of the day that's not my decision to help you make".