Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty: Family means no one gets left behind

One month later

I wake up with cold sweat washing my entire body. For the past month I've been going to therapy for anxiety and PTSD of being kidnapped.

I realize things were getting worse after I wake up in cold sweats and having flashbacks throughout the day. I needed to get better for me and my son.

"Good morning beautiful". Damien greets me as he walks into the room with Na'sir on his hip. "The birthday boy woke up real early this morning". He beams.

I outstretch my hands, taking him and kissing him on the cheek.

"Good morning my handsome kings". I greet them back. "And especially you my handsome birthday boy".

"What you want for breakfast?".

"Oh you're making breakfast this morning?". I tease him.

"Of course, plus Shantel is coming over this morning to help with the birthday decorations, I know her fat ass is going to want something to eat".

I chuckle at that. "You right, I can't believe it's been a year already".

"A whole year of ups and downs". He takes Na'sir from me who was doing his baby talk.

"Dada". Na'sir squeals playfully as he begins to clap.

"Yes!". Damien screams. "He said dada first you lost the bet".

"Ahh Na'sir, I had such high hopes for you". We both bust into a fit of laughter.

{••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••}

"Hi birthday boy". Shantel greets Na'sir as she walks into the house. "I wish I could hold you but this huge belly is getting in the way". She leans in and kisses his cheek.

"What about me?". I smirk as she gives me a side hug. "Much better".

I lead the way to the kitchen where Damien is currently flipping a pancake.

"My mouth is watering". Shantel says taking a seat. "Pancake, bacon , scramble eggs , omelettes, grits and orange juice ? I'm in heaven right now".

"I knew her fat ass was going to be acting greedy". Damien laughs sharing her a plate of everything. "Always eating".

She laughs rubbing her stomach. "She needs to hurry and get here so I can shower her with kisses".

"And before she eats you out of house and land how greedy she's going to be". Damien resorts sharing my plate and placing it in front of me.

I hand him Na'sir and he places him inside the high chair, putting some scramble eggs and fruits on his tray. He smiles as he begins to eat and get messy. He was such a messy eater. I smile watching him.

"I love you guys". I say to them.

"I love you more baby". Damien answers taking a seat next to me on the kitchen island.

"I love you more". Shantel answers stuffing her face.

I laugh at the sight. We really did all come from so far together. Even though I lost my mom and I was raised with no father, I was never short of love when it came to those around me. For that I am grateful.

{•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••}