Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen: I AM DONE!

           After the police left. They also left two police officers outside the hospital room for my protection. Just in case those lunatics came after us again. In my statement I told them everything. I tried as best as I could to keep Damien out of it, but in reality, I couldn't.

  The police wanted to question him. To ask him if he had any connections to the guys and also wanted to show him some of the pictures from the crime scene. Maybe he knew what gang they belonged to and why they wanted so badly to harm his family.

"Summer!". I hear my mom's voice scream as she rushes inside the room to hug me tightly. "I was so worried about you two".

"Where's Damien!?". Shantel shouts walking into the room behind my mom. She was red and so were her eyes.

           She burst into tears as she saw me. Hugging me tightly. I wince at the pain of the hug from all the bruises on my body. I was sore and in pain. But seeing them was everything. I thought I wouldn't be able to see their faces again.

       My mom picks up a sleeping Na'sir from the glass hospital bassinet. She rocks him gently in her arms while tears started rolling down her face.

"My sweet boy". She says kissing him on the cheek.

"Where is Damien?". My mom asks me.

"Everyone has been asking me that , and honestly the answer is I simply do not know". I tell my mom.

"He's going to get it, I know he has something to do with this, his lifestyle is dangerous, I thought he was going to quit the game?". Shantel says with a worrying stare.

"I thought so too but he said it wasn't easy". I sigh out as I fix myself in the bed. "I'm not putting my son and I in danger again, I'm moving and I'm getting security".

My mom hands Shantel the baby and takes out her phone. "I'm going to call a good friend of mine and get us a new home before you know it, gated with round the clock security".

I smile. "What would I do without you mom?". I then look to Shantel. "Or without you?". I broke down into tears. I really thought I would never see them again and here they are in front of me.

"Well we're here now, and we are not going anywhere? You hear that?". Shantel reassures me.

      I give her a nod and she comes closer to me, handing me Na'sir and kissing both of our foreheads.

{••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••}

          I wake up to see Damien sitting next to me with Na'sir in his arms. He was feeding him a bottle and kissing his forehead. I begin to sit up in the bed. He looks up at me and immediately tears started rolling down his cheeks.

"Summer I am so sorry, I can't express to you how sorry I am for letting this happen, I wasn't there to protect you, once again, and now I put my son in danger". He apologizes.

"I dont know what to say, like I thought of a million things to say to you when I saw you and now here you are and my words are practically gone".

"You don't have to say anything, I was wrong for not being home, I have no excuse that justifies what I let happen".

           I wanted to scream so badly that it wasn't his fault but it was. He told me he was going to quit the game, to get a target off his back and also his family. I trusted his tears when he told me he was done, I trusted his lies instead of trusting in myself.