Getting down the germs (Spencer Reid/Reader)

Prompt: What if germs haven't been discovered?

Summary: Spencer and Reader analyze a world where germs don't exist, and how Reid's life would be like...

Category: Fluff

Content Warning: none

Pairing: Spencer/Reader

Word count: 1.6K

- I wonder how your life would be if germs had never been discovered- (Y/N) thought out loud and gazed at Spencer, smiling playfully. They were waiting for their lunch in a small cafeteria they liked to go to whenever they had a slow paperwork day at the BAU. It felt almost unreal to be sharing a meal not thinking there was an unsub to catch in the next hour.

He hesitated for a second before answering. He was caught off guard by her smile, and for a second he forgot he could speak, words piling up in his tongue, not making his way from his lips. She made his brain turn into mush, that was a fact.

- I don't understand how germs could never be discovered- Spencer murmured a few seconds later. Of all the answers he had in mind, which mostly referred to an endless amount of data and facts about germs, those words were the best he managed to say. (Y/N)'s smile had completely wiped off every functional brain cell he had.

- Well, imagine all the things people haven't discovered yet- she simply replied and took a sip of her lemonade. Just like that, Spencer was left speechless.

All the things people haven't discovered yet. That was interesting, but though it was a thought Spencer could lose himself in for days and maybe weeks, at that minute all he could concentrate on was all the things he hadn't discovered yet, such as the taste of (Y/N)'s lips. Or how her warm skin could feel against his hand when he finally first touched her. He hadn't discovered how it would be to hold her hand. Just as simple as that. He lived in a world where germs existed, but all his dreams were a "what if".

- That's overwhelming- Spencer whispered, answering to (Y/N)'s earlier comment and looked down.

- Would you shake people's hand if germs hadn't been discovered?- his best friend asked, and her eyes didn't leave his. She felt how her whole body shook, staring at Spencer, but she couldn't stop doing it anyway. She didn't want to either, but it felt physically impossible to take her eyes from his. He was a magnet she couldn't move apart from.

It had been that way since day one, when the two of them started at the BAU, five years ago. They were both extremely young to be part of the elite of the FBI, but their abilities had put them where they belong. A few weeks into the job and Reid had finally managed to talk to her without stuttering. He wasn't good with people, especially with women. Least with a woman he found attractive. (Y/N) had no idea how to approach someone like Spencer. He had an IQ of 187, the guy could read 20.000 words per minute. She was dumb compared to him in any possible way. There was no way he could even notice her, so she did what anyone would do: she fell into the friendzone and stayed there for the next five years.

She was the girl he took to the museums every weekend, and he was the friend she crawled to random geek conventions. She loved to be there for him, even when it meant she was his best friend. (Y/N) knew Spencer had a thing for JJ when they first joined the BAU, they even were out on a date, but nothing came from it. It didn't matter to her anyway, she could see how Spencer looked at JJ, he never had those longing eyes when he talked to her. It was clear, she was just his best friend and JJ the object of his desires.

- I don't know... I guess...- Reid answered and (Y/N) nodded. Their food arrived and the two of them focused on their dishes for a few seconds. Silence fell between them, but it wasn't awkward. It never was. They were perfectly comfortable in each other's company, being quiet wasn't something to worry about. They could perfectly spend a whole weekend in silence, reading, or watching movies.