I always wanted a brother (Spencer Reid)

Prompt: Long lost family knocks on his door at two in the morning.

Genre: Maybe a little bit of angst

Word count: 1,4K

Summary: A kid shows up at Spencer's door in the middle of the night, alleging he is the doctor's younger brother.

.

It was two in the morning when a nonstop knocking on the door forced Spencer to wake up, grab his gun from the night table and scratch his eyes and hair, not getting what was going on.

Maybe the gun wasn't really necessary, and a little overreacted, but after eight years in the BAU, he couldn't help it.

He walked slowly to the door, trying his best not to make a sound, and looked through the peephole, but he couldn't recognize the person outside. It looked like a teenager. But he could be wrong.

- Hello?- his question was hesitant, and his voice shook a little at the end.

- I'm sorry to bother you in the middle of the night, but... I'm looking for Dr. Spencer Reid

- Who are you?

- I'm Steven Reid... his brother.

Spencer didn't know what to do. He couldn't move for a few long seconds, and his heart felt like it was about to come out of his chest. A brother? no, no way on earth. That was an unsub trying to get into his house and kidnap him or kill him. Probably both.

- My father is William Reid... he doesn't know I'm here... can I come in?- Spencer couldn't think straight. He had too many questions, and the only way to get any answer was letting that stranger in.

Everything told him not to do it. So he did it anyway because... that's how Spencer rolls sometimes.

- I promise, I'm not crazy... or a psycho... I've got my birth certificate to prove I'm your brother- Steven whispered as soon as the doctor opened the door and took a step back. The young man handed him the paper as he walked in and stood in front of the man he alleged was his brother. He was a kid, probably around fifteen years old. He couldn't see much of his father in him, though his eyes and features could be slightly similar.

- Hi... I'm Spencer Reid- that was all he could say, and waved at the kid.

- Hi- that was all the reply he got, and the two of them stood in awkward silence for a minute.

- Do... what... why are you here at two in the morning?

- I just got here... I took a flight from Las Vegas and I didn't know where to stay until tomorrow, so I thought "What the hell?"- the kid shrugged and smiled, he was so nervous he didn't know how to act- I have to go back home tomorrow anyway, so it was now or never

- Does anyone know you are here?- Steven shook his head and bit his lips, embarrassed, staring at his shoes. Reid was now afraid that kid was in trouble or running away from something or someone dangerous.

- I told mom I was staying with a friend tonight... that I was coming home tomorrow after school- Reid nodded and sighed. The boy seemed harmless, and he was being honest, his body language gave him away.

- Do you want coffee?- after he asked, Spencer thought maybe hot chocolate was more suitable for a kid his age, then again, he had no idea what Steven liked. How could he? He had no idea of his existence until two minutes ago.

- Thank you

.

The two young men sat at the kitchen's island. One held a coffee cup and the other took a bite of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

- Dad talks about you all the time, that's why I wanted to come and meet you- Steven broke the silence and took a sip of his soda- He goes on and on about your job at the FBI and how many PhDs you've gotten...- he kid trailed off, and Spencer had a feeling of where that mind was going. It probably wasn't a good place.

- I bet he is proud of you too- his voice was so soft, Steven looked at him surprised.

Somehow the kid was afraid of him, he was intimidating. He was his older brother, the one he had heard so much about, the one he always wanted to meet. William had, in fact, talked about Spencer to his younger boy, trying to inspire and motivate him to do bigger things and encourage him to be better.

And somehow, he had. Instead of growing up hating his older brother, the kid his dad was so proud of, Steven just wanted to meet him and ask him a thousand questions. William created an image of Red in the kid's mind that made him look like the perfect role model. Spencer had to have the answers to all his questions. And that kid had a lot of questions... just like his older brother had.

- Is he a good dad?- Reid's voice was a whisper, and it was filled with fear and insecurity. He could imagine his father being there for this unknown kid his whole life. Dropping him off to school in the morning, teaching him to ride his bike, cheering his football games... maybe he could even actually teach that kid how to shave, all the things he dreamt to share with his dad, and that he never had the chance to experience.

- I guess, I don't really spend much time with him... just every few weekends

- Why?- Spencer frowned and stared at the kid, who was notoriously uncomfortable with the question.

- He doesn't get along with mom... they really never had a relationship, just a one-night stand kind of thing- Steven looked at his food and made a long pause- I've always felt he doesn't really want to be my dad, but got stuck with me anyway

- Don't worry, he hasn't been the best dad with me either, I bet he has been way better with you- the kid smiled at Reid's words and sighed.

- Well, he tries... I guess

Spencer stared at the kid for a few seconds, trying to make sense of what was going on. His father had another kid with some random woman, and that kid had traveled on his own from Las Vegas just because he wanted to meet him.

- Why did you want to meet me?- he had to ask, 'cos it didn't make sense. The kid blushed and looked down at his hands. Spencer gave him some time to collect his thoughts, sipped his coffee, and looked at his birth certificate. It was real. He could also ask Garcia to track him down just to make sure, but he didn't want to share what was going on with anyone.

- I... wanted to...- Steven wasn't sure what to answer at that, it was embarrassing to be honest, though he knew he had no other way out. He was there for a reason, and whether it was good or not, he had to say it.

- I just wanted to know if you want to be my older brother- Steven was so embarrassed he couldn't even look at Reid straight to the eyes. He felt so stupid asking. And worst than anything else: he was so scared he was gonna be rejected.

Spencer didn't know what to answer at that. He didn't even know if what was going on was real. Did his mom know his father had another kid? if she didn't, he was never gonna tell her. And he wasn't going to ask his father either.

Steven bit his lips scared and uncomfortable. He knew being rejected was a chance, but he wasn't prepared for it. Who could be prepared for that anyway? he knew his older brother was a genius and the chances he wanted to meet him and be part of his life were low. Who would want to be related to him anyway?

- You know, when I was your age all I wanted was an older brother- Spencer whispered and chuckled- I was a fifteen years old kid in college, and believe me, none of the undergrads was happy to have me around- he shook his head narrowed his eyes, 'cos no all the memories that were coming back were good.

- I'm a fourteen kid who's only hobby is playing chess- Steven said and chuckled- I'm not a genius, but I get what's like to be picked for being a nerd- Reid's eyes shone at those words

- We should play sometime

- We could play now... I have to go back home in a few hours...

- Don't you think you should sleep at least for a while?

- No... I don't usually get that much sleep anyway- Spencer tried not to laugh at those words

- I understand... let's play some chess then... I always wanted to have a little brother to play with, after all.