"Ask the girl out, for crying out loud!" (Spencer Reid/ Reader)

Prompt: Would you like to talk with a book character?

Pairing: Spencer Reid/ Reader

Summary: Random talking about books and authors in the jet back from a case creates a lot of awkward silences between Spencer and Reader, they can actually even drive Rossi a little crazy.

Warnings: I'm getting fluffier and fluffier with every word I write

Word count:1,2K

It was a long flight from Seattle back to Quantico. Everybody was asleep on the jet, after a whole night awake, catching yet another serial killer. Ok, not everybody was asleep. Spencer was sitting at the very back of the plane, reading his favorite Edgar Allan Poe anthology. He knew by heart every word of it but revisiting it made him feel like home, like talking with an old friend.

He didn't have many old friends, so he guessed books could do the trick.

- Again? really?- (Y/N) asked him and sat next to him holding two cups of hot coffee.

Spencer smiled, not taking his eyes from the page. He knew if he did, he was going to blush and get nervous, 'cos every time they talked, he got a fluttery feeling in the stomach. He couldn't help it, even after all those years. He just had to live with the fact he loved his best friend in silence and made his best to pretend nothing was going on.

- I can't help it- he answered and pretended to continue reading.

- I would tell you to find another book you love, but I'm pretty sure you already read all the books in the world- Spencer gave her a knowing grin, trying to annoy her.

- Jealous?- but he failed

- I don't know... I don't think so, I like to know there's a book out there I still don't know, and that it might turn out to be my favorite

Reid frowned thinking about it. When was the last time he got so excited with a book it turned to be his favorite? he had read many books, he had loved a lot of them, but nothing had the same effect on him as that Edgar Allan Poe's anthology he got when he was six. Maybe it was the impact it had on him at such a young age. Maybe he just was a sucker for horror. Whatever the reason was, Spencer hadn't found another book to call his favorite.

- Have you ever thought about which character from a book you would like to meet?- (Y/N) looked at him with honest curiosity after a few minutes in silence and forced him to stop reading again. Spencer didn't really mind the interruption, he wanted to talk to her.

- No, I don't know... I think I'm more curious about talking with authors than with characters- he frowned, rubbing his chin, realizing he had never thought about it.

- Why?

- I guess I want to know what they thought about while creating these amazing worlds, how they came up with such brilliant ideas...- Spencer sat correctly on his seat and closed his book, biting his lips to cover a smile- Did you know that Sir Connan Doyle was a detective of sorts himself? he actually used the Holmes method to solve the murder of an 82-year-old woman from Glasgow, named Marion Gilchrist

- Are you serious?

- Yes! and he was friends with Harry Houdini, but had a bitter spat on the grounds of spiritualism that broke their friendship entirely- (Y/N)'s mouth fell open

- No way!

- Yeah! I've always wanted to know what that argument was about... can you imagine what it was to be friends with Houdini?

- Maybe Sir Arthur kept asking and asking him to do magic tricks for him, and Houdini just wanted to make him disappear- (Y/N) made a pause and looked at Spencer's wide-opened eyes, waiting for his reaction.

- Really?- he closed his eyes, looking in pain after such a terrible joke- Please, don't tell me you thought that could ever be funny- but (Y/N) giggled

- Oh come on! it wasn't that bad

- It makes me want to disappear- the girl elbowed her friend, feeling her heart beating a little faster each time he smiled at her.

- Well, I do want to meet a few book characters- (Y/N) changed the subject and sipped her coffee- I think there are a lot of them who need to be told a few things

- What? who?- Reid furrowed his brows, trying to follow her idea

- Well, for starters, I need to have one long talk with Holden Caulfield

- I can't imagine what you would say to him

- I would give him a hug, I love that kid, I've always thought we could have been friends growing up, I mean, we were both rebels against our families and school...

- Did you know there is a highly shared theory about The Catcher in the Rye among conspiracy groups? It's believed that the book is actually used as a trigger for sleeper assassins who were trained by the CIA's MK-Ultra mind control program

(Y/N) smiled at her best friend and didn't say a word for a few seconds. He didn't know if he had said something wrong or not, he had just said the first thing that came to mind. As pretty much always.

- Are you trying to tell me I might be a serial killer, Reid?- she asked, leaning into him slowly. As she got closer, her heart beat faster, and Spencer's cheeks turned red. He had to hold his book tight to make sure his hands didn't shake. His eyes were fixed to her lips, and all he could whisper was.

- No... I don't think you... are... a serial... killer- he even stuttered. For a second, they were so close they could actually kiss if Reid moved his body a few inches closer. But neither of them did a thing. As always.

- I would also love to meet Mr. Darcy and ask him to stop being an ass with Lizzy- (Y/N) sat back on her seat and sighed, trying not to look as frustrated as she felt.

- You did finish the book, right?- Reid asked playfully, but she just groaned under breath.

- I know they got married and lived happily ever after, but for the first half of the book, he was a jerk and it really upset me

- It's called character growth, (Y/N), it's part of the story

- Well, sometimes it's annoying! don't you ever want to yell at some book character to stop joking around and do the damn right thing? like, we know you love the girl! ask her out once for all!

There was a heavy silence between the two of them. A long, awkward silence. You could feel the sexual tension in the air as they stared at each other.

Yes, everyone knew those two were madly in love with each other.

No, neither of them wanted to make the first move, afraid of the rejection.

Yes, Spencer was sure (Y/N) would laugh on his face if he ever asked her out

No, (Y/N) could never refuse a date with Spencer, she loved him ever since he first started rambling facts, five minutes into introducing himself.

Yes, they were driving the whole team insane.

- We all know exactly what it's like to want to yell at someone's face "ask the girl out for crying out loud"!!- Rossi nearly shouted standing behind their seats, making (Y/N) and Spencer jump- Now, if you are not going to say what we all want you to say, I will suggest you two shut up and let the rest of us sleep.

Spencer and (Y/N) looked at each other and shrugged. Reid opened his book again and she sighed. Rossi walked back to his seat and sighed.

- I'm gonna marry again before those two have their first date- he whispered to Hotch, who chuckled and didn't take his eyes from the files he was reading.

- That's not really that hard, David.