CHAPTER 34

AZ
Song: She loves control - Cami Cabello

"Didn't your granddaughter tell you Colonel?" Mukefor asks Gramps.

"She did but I want to hear it from you." Gramps says, playing with the numerous tiny moulds that cover a large portion of his face.

"Alright then. Yesterday, after class and practice hours the DM ran into your granddaughter and her... Friend here locking lips in the school pool."

Locking lips?

"They were really into whatever it is they were doing because they didn't even notice when she got in." He adds.

"My son already explained the whole drill to me principal. So what's next? What's the punishment?" Kacely's mom interrupts.

OK...

"Why do you both seem so unfazed by this?" Mukefor asks Gramps and Kacely's mom.

"We aren't... At least I'm not. It is wrong and I already scolded Azinwi for it. But she's eighteen already and I'm sure the young man is around that same age as well. They are both just a few months away from college so it makes sense if their hormones are a bit all over the place." He says and Kacely's mom giggles.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with this old man. How can he say our hormones are all over the place?

"You're saying what they did is ok?" Mukefor asks.

"No... No, of course not Mr. Principal.  What they did is wrong, unruly and punishable. But they are teenagers and they are excited about life. It's wrong mainly because it was on campus."

"Um... Mr. Principal, I have to meet up with someone at 1pm so... Can we speed this up? What is their punishment?" Kacely's mom asks.

"Illicit pairing on campus usually earns the defaulters a maximum suspension of eight days. But since Kacely is new and he seems to very well mannered so far, he will be granted six days instead. And Azinwi who has been here since Lower sixth and who is very notorious, always missing assemblies, always wearing the wrong shoes on campus and who also has a record with the disciplinary council will  get the maximum suspension. If she gets involved in something like this again, she risks getting expelled from RCC." He states. Gramps looks at me side wardly with a slight frown and I fidget. uncomfortably in my chair.

"Also both of you won't participate in the sporting activities this weekend. And the swimming team will not participate in the events either."

"Why not?" Kacely asks.

"Because Kacely... you have turned the pool into a hideout for illicit activities. Before, we never had problems like this."

"That literally makes no sense." Kacely says, shocking all of us. "I made a mistake, not everyone on the team. They shouldn't be punished because of me. There are kids who are actually learning how to swim and they love it, why take that away from them because of something I did?"

"How many of you are there? Twenty... Thirty...?"

"Sixty three." Kacely states.

"Ok, but it still isn't such a big deal. The other schools don't even have swimming teams so it won't be an interschool competition."

"We intend to compete among ourselves."

"The disciplinary council already made the decision Kacely." Mukefor scoffs.

"Let me get this straight." Gramps interrupts "You're punishing an entire team of kids because of something one of the members did?"

"I'm as baffled as you are Sir." Kacely's mom buds in.