CHAPTER 44

KACELY
Song: The feeling - JB & Halsey

🎶Am I in love with you...?
Or am I in loooove with the feeling?🎶

I think we all need to ask ourselves that from time to time.

Az walks back to the chair on which she was seated and I approach her while trying to construct a speech in my mind for later on.

"Az." I call as she flips the pages of the book she just took from the shelf. I take a seat beside her but she doesn't acknowledge my presence. "Az," I repeat and she doesn't even look at me. I know she knows I'm here, there's no point in pretending.

Just like I did the day we met here at RCC, I pull her headsets from her ears. And just like before, she looks at me with a murderous glare.

I too am feeling slightly angry with her and I don't even know why.

"You mean to tell me you couldn't hear me call you a while ago?" I frown and she rolls her eyes before going back to flipping the pages of her book.

"Az I'm talking to you?" I say and she looks at me

"The time for talking to me was Saturday." She tells me and wets her finger on her tongue before continuing her flipping.

"Why weren't you in class today? Where'd you go?" I choose to ignore her childishness but she still doesn't say anything. "Az..."

"Is this how it'll be from now on? You walk out on me, ignore my calls and then expect me to talk to you normally the next time we meet?"

"I called you, multiple times but your phone didn't go through. I was so worried."

"Worried huh?" She scoffs. "So you weren't worried when you left me in Foumban alone?" This isn't going well. She's pissed and I on the other hand am also pissed for reasons I don't know.

"You know why... Are we going to argue about this in the school library?" There are more people than usual today. "Your phone wasn't going through, what was I supposed to do?"

"I called you too... and texted... But you ignored me. So..." She shrugs.

"I called you back later but nothing." I say and scoot closer while she backs away.

"I put it on airplane mode." She tells me dryly.

"For three days? You see, there was nothing I could do." I say and she doesn't react. "I'm sorry I left, I was pissed." I finally voice out and she scoffs like she always does when she's trying to get under my skin. It works, like it always does.

"What right had you to be pissed?" She giggles and my body relaxes.

"I had none."

"I'm happy you realised that."

"You can't blame me... I didn't expect to see what I saw. I was... I was caught off guard... I was overwhelmed."

"Zacchy, do you think I was excited when I saw the photo album in your gallery of you and Ara and Afi? The one with the cute little heart emoji?" She looks at me.

"Azinwi... Those were just photos."

"So were the nudes Jaff sent" she fires back and I bite my tongue before clamming my lips.

This isn't going anywhere.

"So why weren't you in class?" I break the silence and she leans against the chair to face me.

"I was here the whole time."

"Are you sure? You missed the first four periods."

"I don't even have to tell you where I was, what's your problem?" She scoffs.