Five

Freya's POV:

As I walked closer to the small two-story house, I noticed William Zarick and another man already sitting on the front porch. Once I reached the two, my eyes widen in recognition at the man.

Jordan Mahkent.

"I'm sure you're both aware," Jordan cleared his throat as he adjusted his sunglasses that rested on his nose. "Brainwave is in a coma."

"He came to see me." William places his briefcase near his feet. "His son was attacked by someone using Starman's staff. He told me he called you."

"He did." Jordan nods. "Why didn't you?"

"I-I didn't see the need

"I-I didn't see the need."

Jordan turned his head to me. "You were there that night. What did this Starman look like?

"It was a girl. I didn't recognize her since she had the mask." I spoke up. "Brainwave tried to lure her to us if he had me as a hostage and indicated he'd take care of her. We...underestimated her strength. He said he told Zarick his plans but he didn't want to help." I emphasize as I look to William.

Jordan looks back at him as well. "You were the one who was supposed to handle things in my absence."

"Well, he was insistent." William muttered in annoyance.

"And you were hesitant. You always have been."

William shook his head with annoyance. "Brainwave has never been a team player like me. I was the one who cleaned everything up." He sternly spoke. "Got him to the hospital, took care of the costume, came up with a story."

"William," Jordan took off his sunglasses. "you stumbled into your powers, you killed your master before his lessons were complete, and it shows. That wand of yours, it's capable of so much more but instead of thinking big, you just continue to think small. Even now you're still performing the same old tired show. You've just changed one stage for another. You spend your days making promises to people, but much like every politician, you don't keep them, in the same way you didn't keep your promise to me." His voice slightly rose.

"Jordan, that is--"

"You seem to think that power comes from other people's perception of you. From recognition or applause, but...that's not true power. Now, William, true power doesn't need to be seen." He gestured to me. "Freya proved it last night. She was there with him."

I scratch the back of my neck nervously. "Brainwave being put into a coma wasn't the plan."

"But you proved why you play an important part for the ISA." He looked back to William. "I've traveled across this country. I've hunted everybody who played a part in Christine's death. Everybody who exposed her to the toxin that led her to get sick. I did this because I, too, made a promise, William, to my wife as she lay dying in my bed that I would combat injustice for our son, for everyone's children."