Fourteen

Freya's POV:

My parents and I carefully eye the new coach as the team introduced themselves with Principal Bowin's supervision.

Once the Coach reached Artemis, she proudly stood up as Principal Bowin gestured to her. "And this is our star player--"

Artemis proudly stood up from her spot and shook his hand. "Artemis Crock." She greeted with a smile. "I look forward to working with you."

Principal Bowin excuses herself and starts to head off the field until she locked eyes with us with a glare before she walked back inside the school

"Welcome to Blue Valley, Coach Karasick." My mom called out with a wave and the coach nodded his head with a smile.

"You've got a great team, Coach." My dad added before he made the gesture that he's keeping an eye on him and chuckled.

From the corner of my eye, I see someone approach us which causes me to turn to see Steven Sharpe toss a bag of peanuts on the ground which completely missed the trash can.

"Mr. Sharpe." I greet but see my dad's jaw clench once I mentioned his name.

"Good afternoon." He greets as he leaned against the railing in front of my dad.

"You better not bet against us this season, Sharpe." My dad said, not bothering to look him in the eyes.

"I wouldn't dare think of it. Your daughter's gonna take Blue Valley all the way." He emphasized. "I know that. Yes, sir."

"What do you want?" My mom questioned.

"Not me, Paula. Jordan." He took out a keycard from his vest and handed it to him. "We've got the broadcasting equipment. Now we need to retrieve the satellite codes to use it. Everything's set for tonight, my friends."

What?

My dad sarcastically smiled. "We're not your friends."

Steven's jaw dropped slightly as he held his hands out. "Come on, sure you are."

He shook his head again. "No." Steven rolled his eyes in annoyance before he started to walk back where he entered from.

"Steven," My mom called out which caused him to pause in his steps. "We pride ourselves in keeping the school clean. Pick up your trash." She sternly ordered and Steven's expression turned to a smirk.

He picked up the bag of popcorn on the ground before waving it in the air and tossed it in the trash.