Twenty-Six

Freya's POV:

As we walk up the steps, we hear Pat introducing himself to someone. "And you are...?" He questioned.

I turn the corner, seeing a man with sandy blonde hair who wore ripped jeans, a grey shirt with a blue jacket, and a leather jacket on top.

"I'm Sam Curtis." The scruffy-bearded man with pale skin greeted. "Courtney's father."

Courtney freezes before she could step out of the corner and I slowly look back towards the man with my eyes widened.

That means...Starman was never Courtney's father.

"Oh! Oh, right, of course. Sam." Pat awkwardly cleared his throat. "Well, uh, nice to meet ya."

"You too." He answered before his eyes landed on me and offered his hand. "You're his daughter?"

I shake my head. "Friend of Courtney's." I cross my arms, not even bothering to shake his hand. "Freya Crock."

"Oh, got it." He awkwardly muttered as he pulled his hand away and I step to the side so Courtney could walk out.

Her expression was filled with disbelief and confusion as she looked the man up and down.

Sam let out a chuckle. "Wow. Look at you, you...you've really grown up."

He tries to take a step forward but Courtney immediately takes a step back, with a look of disgust. "You're not my father."

A wave of disappointment shows in Sam's face. "I know it's been a while. I got your mom's email--"

"What are you doing here?" Ms. Whitmore shook her head with disbelief.

"You once told me that you couldn't wait to get out of Blue Valley. Look, I figured if you had to come back here, then it must've been serious." He tried to explain but she let out a quiet sigh. "Look, I'm sorry for showing up like this out of the blue. I replied, I never heard back I...I was worried. Is everything alright?"

Courtney walks up to her mom, hesitantly glancing between her parents. "That's not my dad." She whispered but her mom placed her hands on her shoulders.

"Honey, I'm so sorry that this is happening like this right now."

"It's not. It can't be--"

"It is." She interrupted her daughter.

"Hey, Courtney." Sam holds out a similar locket Courtney was wearing around her neck.

"W-Where did you get that?" Courtney asked, taking a couple of steps forward to him

"Well...I used to have two. But then I gave that one to you." He explained as he pointed to the necklace around her neck. "A long time ago."

She tightly clutched onto the locket around her neck before she shook her head. "I don't believe you."

"Courtney--"