Twelve

Freya's POV:

"So, you think you're all superheroes, huh?" Rick sarcastically chuckled with his arms crossed. "So you're Stargirl," Courtney waved then he looked over to Yolanda. "You're...?"

"Wildcat." Yolanda answered for him.

He looks to me next. "Doctor Fate." He questioned and I nod before he looks to Beth next. "And she's--"

"Just borrowing those for the night." Yolanda interrupted before Beth could answer.

"Right. So, what can this 'magic' hourglass do?" He asked as he held up the hourglass in his hands.

"It's science. Your dad invented it." Beth excitedly answered. "The hourglass gave your dad super strength for one hour a day."

"One hour?" He raised a brow. "So the other twenty-three hours he was what, just some dude?"

"He was a brilliant chemist! Y'know that hourglass only worked for your dad. It was tied to his DNA." She emphasized with a grin.

"How do you turn it on?"

"How do you use any hourglass? You turn it over." She motioned with her fingers to spin.

He pulls over the necklace around his neck and flips the hourglass which instantly glowed at the action. The sand inside begins to drop and a wave of gold energy spreads across his chest until it reached his fists.

 The sand inside begins to drop and a wave of gold energy spreads across his chest until it reached his fists

"So super strength, huh?" Rick said as he walked over to one of the filled beer containers. He picks it up at ease and pushes his hands closer, crushing the beer container under his grip which caused my eyes to widen.

"Uh..." I awkwardly cough, worriedly glancing behind to make sure no one was looking but he drops the can with a chuckle.

"You really shouldn't test out your powers in public." Courtney warned. "Our identities--"

"Protecting them is Superhero 101." Beth interrupted with a confident smile. "And you need a costume. Technically we all do. Since it's Halloween--"

"I'm not wearing a stupid costume." Rick harshly remarked. "You guys, do whatever you want. I'm doing my own thing."

He tries to walk away but I quickly stand in his way with a glare. "You can't just take the hourglass like--"

"Yes, I can!" He raised his voice. "It was my Dad's right? Now it's mine. Later." He scoffed and shoulder-checks me before he headed towards the exit.

I huff but move to chase after him but Courtney grabs my arm. "Stop it, not here." She scolded.

"Congrats. You just made the biggest delinquent in school an unstoppable beast." Yolanda emphasized but Courtney shook her head.

" Yolanda emphasized but Courtney shook her head