Twenty-Two

Freya's POV:

"So Courtney, Cameron tells me that you're quite the gymnast." Jordan spoke up after a couple of minutes of silence since we were eating.

"Uh..." Courtney nervously trailed since all eyes were on her now. "I was."

"In Valley Village, she was the best on the team." Her mom added with a smile.

"Oh, wow. Really?" Jordan asked Courtney and she nods. "I've always admired athletes."

"I hear you're quite the artist, Cameron." Her mom mentioned which caused him to look up. "What kind?"

"Uh...paints mostly."

"Like his mother." His grandma rasped, muttering something in Norwegian under her breath and his grandfather placed a hand on her back.

"So how about you, Pat?" Jordan questioned which caused me to narrow my eyes in suspicion. "I hear you run the old garage off Main Street." What is he doing?

"Yeah, I mostly focus on classic cars, but, uh, you know, in a small town like this, I take whatever work comes my way." He explained with a chuckle.

"I guess you could do your work anywhere, right? So, why move to Blue Valley, if you don't mind me asking?"

In all honesty, I was curious as well.

"No. Uh, well..." He trailed as he tried to think. "The pace, the people, and, uh, Barbara of course grew up here." He pointed to Ms. Whitmore as she took a sip of her wine.

"Growing up in the cornfields and going to the theater, and living the perfect American life." He emphasized, subtly locking eyes with me but I look down to pick at my salad.

"It was not perfect, trust me. Not back then." She chuckled but Courtney cleared her throat.

"Uh, Blue Valley's not perfect now, Mom." She emphasized.

"Oh, it's getting there." Jordan assured which causes me to roll my eyes in annoyance. Make it more obvious, why don't you?

"Yeah, Blue Valley's going to be an example of a better America built on the most important building block of all..." Ms. Whitmore trailed with a smile. "families."

"If only everyone felt the same way as us, huh?" Jordan chuckled as he rose his glass and Ms. Whitmore did the same.

Mike elbows my side which causes me to look at him. "Is it me, or is he subtly trying to flirt with Barbara?" He whispered to me but I simply shrug. "Creep."

"Well, if it's okay, I'm gonna have some more. This is delicious." Jordan said and starts to reach for the spoon but Mike already had beaten him to it, serving the last bits of the chicken dumpling on his plate.

"Hey, Dad. Chicken dumplings are gone." Mike coughed as he put the spoon back in the tray.

"I see that." Pat muttered, giving Mike a stern expression but he innocently shrugged. "Sorry, Jordan, let me grab you some more."