Twenty-Nine

Freya's POV:

Once I arrived at the address that Courtney texted me, my eyes trail over to the lit secluded cabin in the forest, indicating that the others safely settled in.

I pull off my helmet which transformed me back into my casual clothes but the action alone earned a small crack from my shoulder and I let out a groan.

My parents may have gone a bit overboard with the beating.

I carefully went up the steps that led to the front door of the cabin and knock on it a few times before I leaned against the wall.

After a few moments, the door swings open and I'm instantly pulled into a tight hug. "I was so worried when you didn't answer our calls." Courtney's voice muffled as I awkwardly wrapped my arms around. "I'm so glad you're okay."

The sounds of footsteps approach us and I look up, seeing the rest of our friends expressions filled with relief until Courtney finally helped me inside and carefully walked me to the dining room where Pat, Mike, and Barbara were.

"Oh my god, Freya." Pat worriedly calls once he sees my injured state as Courtney helped me to the chair.

"I'll get an icepack." Barbara hurriedly got up from her spot and ran to the kitchen.

"You look like you got hit by a bus." Mike commented which instantly earned a smack by Yolanda. "Ow—She does though!"

"Thanks, Mike." I sarcastically smile before I shove the Helmet of Fate inside of my backpack.

"Here Freya." Barbara places the icepack in my hands and I put it on my shoulder. "I also saved you a plate just in case." She places the plate served with mashed potatoes, corn, and two chicken drumsticks in front of me.

My eyes subconsciously trail to the cut on her jaw which caused the pit of my stomach to stir in discomfort.

I did that to her.

"So Freya," Someone spoke up, breaking me from my thoughts as I looked to meet Courtney's eyes. "What happened to you?"

I look around, meeting everyone else's worried expressions as they awaited for my answer but I couldn't help but let my mind wander back to what I did to Anaya.

"This isn't about fun, you sadists." Principal Bowin harshly remarked. "You get too much pleasure from this sort of thing. You both relish in violence. I feel sick imagining how your daughter is going to turn out. She's a wild animal, just like her mother."

"Don't talk about Artemis when you barely even know her." I growl, taking several steps closer to her with a glare which caused my dad to take a step back. "You have some nerve to say that our parents don't love us."

"All I'm saying is that they're unfit to be parents since you and Artemis are starting to show their traits." She tilts her head to the side, causing the pit of my stomach to stir. "I mean, isn't that why your real parents abandoned you?"

Almost as if something inside snapped, I lunge forward and shove the dagger in between her neck and shoulder in which she instantly collapses to the floor.

Realization settles in, causing my eyes to widen at the puddle of blood spilling from her neck as the life in her eyes diminished.

"Freya?" Courtney's voice broke me out of my thoughts and I nervously met her eyes.

"Principal Bowin and my parents snuck up on me when I got to your place." I explain, adjusting the icepack on my shoulder. "Her stupid violin song immobilized me and they used that to get the upper hand. I barely managed to escape."