Sixteen

Freya's POV:

"Wasn't a total loss, Jordan." Steven assured as he leaned back in his chair. "We have the satellite codes and the equipment Dr. Ito requested. We have everything we need."

I woke up practically at the crack of dawn with my parents since we had to meet up with the rest of the ISA members in their headquarters to discuss their plans.

"Except we don't have Brainwave." I reminded, shifting to rest on my other foot. Since I didn't officially have a seat around the ISA table, I was forced to stand behind my parents.

"She's right. Without him, Project: New America is Project: Nothing." My dad added with slight agitation. "Right, Jordan? We need Brainwave."

Jordan stared at the fan in the corner of the room and didn't say a word.

"You know, I thought Mozart here was gonna wake him up." My dad continued as he pointed across the table to Anaya Bowin.

"Her husband could've." My mom added with a smirk, knowing damn well they were pushing her buttons.

"None of this will matter if the Justice Society is here." Anaya scoffed.

"They're not the real Justice Society." My dad tapped on the table. "We killed them. They are dead. I think they were all just kids. Except maybe that big robot."

"Then we should bring our children into this." My mom scoffed in annoyance as she gestured to me. "We have one that already knows our secret. Imagine if we built a team! They could help us find them."

"No," Anaya stated harshly. "The rest of us agreed to keep our sons and daughters in the dark. My boy Isaac is much too sensitive for this kind of life."

"That's because you baby the poor kid." I snort which causes her to roll her eyes in annoyance. "Soon enough he'll suffocate with all that smothering."

"How can you not be worried?" She remarked before she looked back towards my parents. "This new JSA could already know who we are."

The pit of my stomach stirs but I keep my posture straight, making sure no one noticed.

"No, if they knew our true identity, then they'd come for us already." Jordan turns around to lean against the back of his chair. "Keep looking for them while I'm gone."

"I have facial recognition programs working overtime." Steven spoke up.

"We'll find this Stargirl and her friends, whoever they are." He says, looking to meet each of their stares before they finally land on me. "Meeting adjourned."

My parents push their chairs back as they got up from their spots and I was about to follow behind them until someone cleared their throat

My parents push their chairs back as they got up from their spots and I was about to follow behind them until someone cleared their throat. "Freya, may I have a word with you?"

I stop in my tracks and hesitantly turn back around. "Sure."

"We'll meet you in the car." My mom tells me before she and my dad leave along with everyone else, leaving me alone with Jordan.