Eight

Freya's POV:

I sat on the floor with my back pressed against the wall, fiddling with the pencil in my hand due to my nerves.

I didn't know when Yolanda did her usual boxing sessions so I waited at the training room my entire break and lunch period.

This is ridiculous. She's recruiting for the JSA, so why should I do this favor for Courtney? I could be practicing for my benefit to the ISA. I could be reporting back to Icicle about what she's been doing!

But I didn't. At least, not yet. It wasn't anything threatening the project so...what was the point? There's no way she'd say yes.

I hear someone open the door which causes me to look up, seeing Yolanda pull out her water bottle from her bag. She looks up and sees me on the floor, letting out a scoff. "Don't you two get it? I don't want to be your friends."

"I know three months ago was awful for you—" I stammer, trying to come up with a sentence that didn't come off as offensive but she interrupted me before I could.

"Who doesn't?" She scoffed before she walked past me and placed her water bottle on the bench with her back to me. "Look, I didn't show up to Blondie's dinner for a reason. What makes you different?"

"Because I think you're great." I blurt out which causes her to slowly turn to me with her brows furrowed in suspicion. "I know it sounds weird, but the fact that you still come to this hellhole, it's sad. Especially with what...Henry did to you." 

She freezes as she took out her boxing glove from her bag but placed it back inside before placing her things on the ground. She took a seat on the bench but didn't spare a glance.

"I wanted to tell you that day, but you ran off." I start, trying to word it carefully. "What he did is way beyond inexcusable but the fact that you still come to school to tolerate Cindy's remarks, it's brave." I continued, giving a small smile. "I don't think anyone else would've stayed, but you did."

She takes out the wrap from her bag and begins to unroll it. "I never should've sent him those." She softly spoke up.

I furrow my brows in confusion. She's blaming herself? "You're joking, right? He didn't have the right to share them. He's the reason why it got to the entire school."

Her eyes soften, beginning to brim with tears but she looked to the side. "I knew he could be a jerk but..." She looks back to meet my eyes and I see a couple of tears trickle down her cheeks. "he was so nice to me." She softly whispered before she quickly wiped the tears away.

" She softly whispered before she quickly wiped the tears away