Chapter 17

Bonnie lay in bed wide awake. She hadn't seen George again between running out on him in the library and going to bed.
She wasn't sure wether to feel relieved or concerned about that.
It was only 7:30pm though. Fred had called her an "old nana" for calling it a night so early. But he was right, and she wasn't even tired.

She fidgeted with the corner of her sheet as her mind raced, making up scenarios in her head for if George had figured out their charts.
She was halfway through picturing George yelling at her for thinking he would ever have feelings for her, when she heard a tap at her window. She whipped her head around startled, looking out into the dark nights sky.

A tawny owl sat perched on the ledge of the ornate window, tapping its beak on the glass.
Bonnie rose out of bed and padded over to the window to let the owl in. As she did so, she noticed a small piece of rolled up parchment tied to the owls leg with a red ribbon.

"Hey bud, what you got there" she cooed at the bird when she opened the window.
The owl stuck its leg out, offering up the note. Bonnie pulled the ribbon undone and the owl took off into the sky in the direction of the owlery.

She had no idea who would be sending her notes at this time of day. Perhaps her mum? She hoped nothing was wrong.
With steady hands she slipped the ribbon off and unrolled the parchment.

Meet me in the in the astronomy tower.

The sender had drawn 3 small stars underneath the scrawled writing.
Bonnie frowned. Was whoever wrote this note, really expecting her to go all the way up to the astronomy tower at this time of night? She didn't even know who sent it. This was outrageous. And potentially dangerous.

She shook her head and threw the note onto her bedside table as she fell back onto her bed. She stared up at the canopy, starfished on the bed. Who sent it? Why? Should she go?

Bonnie swung her legs over the side of the bed again and sat up straight.
"I'm meant to be confident now. I'm meant to be getting out there, making memories and not being a loner anymore." She said out-loud to herself.
Deciding quickly before she could change her mind, she hauled herself out of bed, threw on a pair of jeans, a large black jacket over her pyjama top, slipped on her joggers while grabbing the note and made for the door.

Nobody took any notice of her as she snuck through the portrait. Briskly and silently she walked the well trodden path to the astronomy tower. With the cogs turning in her mind, she found herself at the foot of the silver ladder leading up to the very top of the tower. She took a deep breath to calm her racing heart and stared climbing.

She pushed open the solid trap-door above her, it thudded down loudly on the wooden floor, making her wince at the noise.
Bonnie looked around slowly, looking for any sign of movement. She pulled herself through the hole in the floor and closed the door behind her. She stood still, trying to adjust her eyes to the darkness.

The partially open roof of the tower looked out into the sky which was clear and cool, littered with twinkling stars. Bonnie drank in the view, her favourite view. Until a dark figure caught her eye emerging from the shadows in front of her.
She clutched her wand in one hand and the rolled up parchment in the other.

"Who's there? Did you send me this note? What do you want?" She growled, suddenly feeling scared and slightly foolish.

The shadow let out a familiar laugh.
"You make for quite the threatening lady, Bon."

"George?" She whispered, letting her wand fall slightly, not all the way.

"It's me. You can put the wand down! We don't want a repeat of when you nearly killed Fred and I on the train."

Bonnie's mouth fell open. George had sent her the note. George wanted to meet her all the way up here, alone, at night. Was she in one of her day dreams? Was it the scenario where they started snogging or the one where he started yelling at her?

"You're not going to run off again are you?" He said amused at how quiet and stiff she had become.

"I- no. No I won't run off" she hesitated. Still unsure what the meaning of this was.
She took a step toward him and saw his eyes glinting in the star light.
"Why the note George?"

He held up in front of him a large piece of parchment. Her heart sunk. She knew exactly what that was even in the dark. It was her star chart, but surely he hadn't figured it out...
She swallowed hard. She couldn't let herself admit the fact that there's no other reason he would have invited her here. Of course he knows.

"If you think I'm going to embarrass you, or be angry or upset... well I'm not ok? This is why you've been avoiding me isn't it? Since Divination?" He paused for an answer, she didn't give him one.

"I looked up what our charts meant." He continued, taking a step closer to her. "Angelina mentioned soulmates when she looked at them. I double checked, I couldn't help myself. There's not many books on it, turns out it's quite rare."
He stopped to laugh quietly. "About as rare as it usually is to find me looking at books like this at all. Madam Pince thought I was trying to prank her, she wouldn't let me out of her sight."

She could feel him looking at her in the darkness, willing her to speak.
But she couldn't think of a single thing to say.