Chapter 24

Bonnie stormed down to the library and took a seat at a table squashed in a dark corner. She was furious at George and didn't want anybody to come into contact with her. She always had trouble calming down when the smallest things ticked her off. Her anger always seethed through her and she couldn't control it.
In a huff she took out her first book and slammed it open. She stared at the page she was meant to be reading for History of Magic, but she just kept reading the same line over and over, unable to comprehend it.

She kept seeing George's face back in the common room. They way it dropped so clearly at the sight of her. Was he disgusted? Disappointed? She couldn't believe him. He's the one that said they'd be friends before anything and then went and kissed her! Now what?
She kicked herself for letting it happen. She had wanted it so badly. But it didn't happen at all like she wanted. It was too good to be true.

She heard shuffling and hushed talking near the entrance of the library.
'You've got to be joking' Bonnie thought. It was those damn twins.
Fred was pushing George toward where she was sitting. Her face formed into a nasty scowl that clearly said 'stay the hell away from me'. George seemed keen to heed the warning her face was emitting and he turned to go, but Fred punched him in the shoulder and shoved him toward her, hissing angrily in his ear something like, "You fix this you git."

George walked feebly toward Bonnie with his head down, turning back once to see if he could flee, only to find Fred standing firmly at the entrance with his arms crossed.

"Um... Hello." George said weakly, with a pathetic half smile on his face.

"Really?" Bonnie looked at him flatly.

He sighed and let his shoulders fall as he fell into the seat opposite her.
"Look Bonnie, I didn't mean to give you that face in the common room, I just wasn't expecting to see you."

"Ok and your face basically showed revulsion because...?"

That gave him pause.
"I- No, not revulsion Bonnie, never! I was just hoping I wouldn't see you until... um..."

"Spit it out George. Until what? Until you thought I'd forget about how YOU kissed ME and then discarded me? Like I'm another one of the 6th years you use for a bit of tonsil hockey when you've had too much to drink? You said we were FRIENDS then you go do that. And now you don't even want to see me apparently." Bonnie had rage boiling inside her. She was aware the volume of her talking was above what it should be, especially for a library. But she couldn't help it.

George sat there like a stunned mullet, gaping at her and her outburst.

"Get. Out." She hissed through her teeth after he refused to speak.
"If you don't want to see me, clear out of here George, before I make you."

He hurriedly stood as her eyes flashed and scrambled back over to where Fred was standing, who was looking just as angry as Bonnie. But his anger wasn't at her, it was at George.
She saw him whack George around the back of the head as he began furiously whispering to him as they exited the library.

Bonnie felt a rush of guilt. She shouldn't have spoken to him like that. She was just so sick of the mess around. She could hardly admit to herself that the face George made at her in the common room wasn't even that bad. Yes, it was upsetting and borderline cruel, but it was just the straw that broke the camels back after everything that's happened.

By the time she had calmed herself down and completed her homework to a shoddy, but satisfactory standard, night was falling. Dinner had started and Bonnie nipped inside the great hall to grab a napkin and stuffed a few morsels of food in it to take with her. She didn't feel like sitting down and putting on a brave face to whoever might be in there.
She noticed a few heads boasting flaming, red hair down the table a bit, but she didn't let herself look to see what Weasley's the heads belonged to, in case it included the one she didn't want to see.

With her food, she made her way to the front doors and was greeted with the fresh, cold evenings air. The sun had just gone down and stars were becoming more visible by the minute. She knew she technically wasn't allowed outside after the sun went down but right now, she didn't care if she got in trouble.
She walked slowly with her mind churning, down to the black lake and sat down on a patch of spongy grass. She watched the water lap gently at the edge and admired the silky stillness of the water further out, as it started to reflect the stars on its surface.

After she had eaten the food she had in her napkin, she leaned back and lay flat on the ground, feeling the grass tickle her ears.
Bonnie gazed longingly up at the beautiful stars, she drank in the view and noted the stars and constellations that became second nature to her now. Seeing it all, suddenly made her start missing home. She wished she was in her cosy room, listening to her parents bustle about downstairs while she sipped a tea, her eye pressed firmly to her telescope looking at what she is seeing now, but in much better detail. Her happy place.

She closed her eyes for a moment and a single tear slid down the side of her face, glistening in the starlight. The million emotions she had pent up, now came to the surface, led by her homesickness.
Upon opening her eyes, she saw a handsome face looking down at her. She hadn't even heard him approach.
"Please George. Leave me alone." Bonnie whispered, closing her eyes again.