Chapter 54

Bonnie's lonely walk back to the castle was slow and numb. The cold was nothing to her as her mind clouded over. She racked her brain for things she might have done wrong to make George act this way, but she couldn't find even half a reason. Maybe she had been looking at everything through rose-coloured glasses, not realising when he was getting sick of her or something?

Bonnie had her eyes squinted at the ground in concentration and didn't even see Fred before she barrelled into his back, making her yelp in surprise.

"Merlin's beard! Sorry Fred... I didn't even see you."

"Might need glasses Bon!" He laughed before noticing her expression.
"You alright? I thought you went to Hogsmeade with George?"

"Yeah... I did."

"Well, where is he?" Fred glanced around for his brother.

"Um, I don't really know sorry Fred." She looked at her gloved hands.

"He let you walk back alone!?" He was aghast.
"Slimy git, what the hell was he thinking? Come on Bon, I was just heading back to the common room."

Bonnie forced a tiny smile on her lips and walked beside Fred. They walked in silence for a few minutes, Bonnie could tell he was dying to ask her what happened.

"I know you're going to ask Fred, and I'll be honest with you... I don't know." She said quietly.

"You don't know what?"

"I don't know what happened." She muttered.

Fred looked down at her with a puzzled expression.
"I'm not sure I... was it busy? Did you guys get separated or something?"

"No, no. I made the mistake of asking why he's been weird since we got back to school. He just completely shut down and wouldn't speak to me so... I got up and left. I'm not sure what he did after that."

Fred sighed and placed a hand on her back reassuringly.
"My brother is very emotional - sensitive, even. I've noticed he's been acting strange too, we all have. I've tried asking him about it but he just tells me to piss off and that it's none of my business. Has me worried too to tell you the truth."

"I'm sorry I left him there. I just don't deal with that kind of thing very well." She looked in his eyes, conveying her genuine words.

"It's really ok Bon, he deserved it. Bloody twat he is." He said shaking his head. "We will get to the bottom of this I promise. Then you can go back to snogging." He smirked at the last sentence.

Bonnie's mouth dropped open, she had no words. She thought nobody knew.

"Yes Bonnie, I know. Known since the day we came back to school. Georgie has been happier than ever, so that's why I'm really this confused about his weirdness."

They walked the rest of the way in silence, Bonnie confused that Fred had known this whole time, but also glad he knew, glad that he was worried about George too.
They rounded the corner to walk up the corridor where the common room was located, only to find George locked in a quiet and close conversation with a girl neither Fred nor Bonnie knew the name of, clearly she was in a year below them. She had long curled dark hair, a slight frame and perfect features. Bonnie instantly recognised the twist of jealousy that gripped her gut.

George stopped speaking to her and stood up straight as he caught sight of the pair of them. He frowned slightly at them before bidding the girl a gentle goodbye and walking through the portrait.

Bonnie heard Fred scoff next to her.
"What the hell was that!?" He exclaimed loudly, not caring that the dark haired girl was walking passed them. She gave Bonnie a particularly evil glare that shook her a bit.

Fred marched toward the portrait and spoke the password angrily at the Fat Lady, earning him a snort of disapproval before swinging open.
Bonnie followed sheepishly and stood behind him slightly as he stalked into the common room and stood, hands on hips, facing his twin. George was sitting between Harry and Angelina, clearly thinking being in the middle of a group would prevent an ambush. He was wrong.

"Explain to me what that was George." Fred demanded hotly.

Harry, Angelina, Lee and Ron looked up at Fred with surprised eyes, before turning to look at George expectantly.

George shrugged.
"I have no idea what you're talking about Freddie. Come sit, we are talking about how we should layout our shop."

Bonnie knew he was referring to the joke shop he and Fred planned on opening after school, expanding their 'Weasley's Whizard Wheezes' brand further. She also knew that Fred was in no mood to talk about their business right now, he had his hands firmly planted on his hips and he wasn't planning on budging until he got an explanation.

"No. George you've been a prick all week. Disappearing randomly for hours at a time, not to mention Bonnie just walked all the way back from Hogsmeade alone. What were you thinking?"

George rose suddenly.
"Me?! Fred I don't know if she told you but she is the one that walked out on me in the pub. What was I meant to do?!" He replied angrily, tension building in the room.

Bonnie snapped.
"She is standing right here George. You could have stopped me, you could have ran after me. But you wouldn't speak to me! You hardly said a word as I stood to leave. Almost like you wanted me to go. What was I meant to do with that? Sit there in silence and pretend you hadn't been disappearing on me all week? Randomly dropping in and out of conversation? Getting suspicious notes and becoming all cagey?" She yelled.

People in the common room were stopping to stare at them but Bonnie didn't care right now, neither did Fred or George.

"You are not my girlfriend. I don't owe you anything." He spat, his voice like venom.

Bonnie's face dropped, so did Fred's and their friends' on the couch. George looked around at them with an odd look on his face as he realised what he had just said and how he had said it. He turned white and his whole body sagged as he took a step forward.

"Bonnie, please I-I'm sorry. I didn't-"

Fred stepped in front on her, blocking George's path with a hand outstretched as he said,
"I think you should leave George. Now."