Chapter 23

The next morning Bonnie woke with the usual hangover. Pounding head, churning stomach and aching calves from dancing all night. She definitely didn't feel as bad as she thought she would though. Especially considering she drank way faster after her lips ran into George's.
She hadn't spoken to him the rest of the night, she only caught glimpses of him clutching a drink and standing awkwardly off to the side, shooting glances in her direction.

"What the hell is the matter with Georgie?" Lee had asked her.

"No idea." Bonnie had said. "Perhaps a bee in his bonnet?".

This morning, after a reasonable sleep in, she took a cool shower and went with Hermione and Harry down to breakfast, after running into them in the common room.

"You two have fun at the party last night?" Bonnie asked them cheerfully.

"I think Ronald had a little too much to drink. He's still in bed. But at least this time we didn't play that barbaric Truth or Dare game and have that slime ball Cormac asking me questions about who's the hottest boy." Hermione responded, rolling her eyes.

"You seemed to have a good time Bonnie, I don't think I've seen you that animated before!" Harry said to her.

"I'm trying to be more confident. But for some reason it was just so easy to have fun last night. I actually really enjoyed myself and didn't even have to try!"

"I bet George helped with that a bit." Harry smirked.
Bonnie stopped in her tracks. He spun around immediately knowing he may have just said the wrong thing.

"What do you mean by that Harry?" Hermione looked from Harry to Bonnie.

"You saw?" Bonnie didn't even have to ask what he was talking about and act innocent. There was no point. Nobody says that sort of thing unless they did indeed see.

"Um yeah... Well no actually, Ron saw and he ran over to tell me. He thought it was really gross actually because you know, George being his brother and all..." Harry rambled.

"Oh stop talking Harry please." Hermione kicked him in the shin but also hissed "Why didn't you two tell me!"

Bonnie shook her head and began walking again.
"Look it really doesn't matter. George doesn't like me anyway." She saw the other two glance at each other out of the corners of her eye.
"He almost seemed annoyed that he had done it. Did I for a second think it might mean something? Yes. But he couldn't pull away from me fast enough it seems."

"What did he say?" Hermione asked comfortingly as they reached the great hall. They all sat down side by side with Bonnie in the middle.

Bonnie huffed as she grabbed a piece of bacon.
"All he said was 'why do I always kiss girls at these things' or something daft like that. So it was just a drunken mistake to him. It's fine. It's all good. So um, maybe don't tell anyone about what Ron saw. Really no need."
She forced a smile and started eating as the other two grew silent and started talking about schoolwork, clearly feeling awkward as they were such close friends to the twins.

Bonnie knew she shouldn't have laden them with that and therefore bought them into the middle of it. But it was what it was.

"Next on the list?"

"Um, feinting fancies." Fred replied to Bonnie.

They were sitting in the overstuffed chairs by the fire in the common room, packing some last minute orders. The rest of the room was deserted as people napped away their hangovers on the cold Saturday afternoon.
They had been at it for 20 minutes when finally they got to the last order. Fred leaned back in his chair and stretched, sighing.

"Thanks for helping Bon. Fat lot of good George is today. Silly git is still in bed nursing his head. I offered him a Pepperup potion but he refused it. Seems happy moping."

Bonnie stared into the fire. She knew he probably couldn't bring himself to face her. The roles were now reversed from the first party, when she had refused to leave her bed the next day. Now it was George's turn. Which she was glad about, because she didn't really feel like seeing him either. She felt betrayed and led on slightly.

"You ok?" Fred asked, noticing her vacant expression.

"Oh sure. Yes I'm fine. Just still a bit hungover I think!" She chuckled forcefully.
Just then, George came thumping down the stairs, coming into view with disheveled bed hair and a scowl on his face.
"Do you think Lee could be any louder? I'm trying to sleep! He's up there playing bloody exploding snap with Harry."

"To be fair Georgie, it is well after lunchtime." Fred laughed.
George looked at Bonnie sitting beside his twin and his face noticeably fell heavily at the sight of her.
This caused Bonnie to darken.

"Nice to see you too George." Bonnie spat, a little meaner than she had intended. But if he wanted to play that game, so could she.
She stood and grabbed her homework.
"I'll be in the library if you need me Fred."

As the portrait door was closing, she heard Fred ask George "What the bloody hell was that all about?!"
She wondered what ridiculous excuse George would try to come up with. To be honest, she didn't much care. She had better things to worry about, like her upcoming N.E.W.T's.