Chapter 55

George had gone upstairs sulkily at Fred's instruction. Bonnie was now sitting in the spot he had just vacated, Angelina beside her patting her arm in a comforting way.

"He was bang out of order Bonnie. I'm sorry." Fred was saying, crouched down in front of her where she sat.

She sighed and looked at him.
"Honestly though Fred, he wasn't. Where was the lie? I did walk out on him. And I'm not his girlfriend."

"Well maybe, but the way he said it, you know. And nobody blames you for walking out. We've seen how he's been acting, he wasn't talking to you. I would have walked out too. We know you and him have been... getting close, with the secret snogging and all."

Bonnie shot looks at her friends surrounding her. They didn't look surprised.
"You all know about that? I mean, I know you all saw on New Year's Eve, but I thought..."

Harry laughed beside her.
"Yes Bon, we all know. You haven't been as sneaky about it as you think."

Lee chimed in.
"Yeah, I dropped my quill in class the other day and bent down to pick it up, imagine my surprise when I see you and George holding hands under the desk all lovey dovey!"

Bonnie's cheeks flushed with embarrassment.
"I'm sorry guys, I had no idea you knew."

"Don't be sorry!" Angelina quipped. "We were all absolutely thrilled you and him were finally getting somewhere! The sexual tension was too much for us. It was bound to happen. You're soulmates."

Bonnie rolled her eyes.
"Please. I think we can safely say that's a load of rubbish at this point. The stars are lying... or at the very least I got the bloody charts wrong." She scoffed.

"Actually, does anybody know who that girl was outside the common room before?" Fred questioned.

"What girl?" Asked Ron.

"George was talking to some girl with dark hair when we showed up. They looked pretty close." Fred's eyes narrowed.

"No. Actually though, he was in here and got an owl at the window with a little note. He got up pretty quick and went outside. He didn't tell us why." Angelina mused, suddenly thinking hard.
"Should have questioned it. But he's been doing it since the semester started, it's almost becoming normal. I didn't think."

"You think it has something to do with her?" Said Ron.

Fred stood up and stared into the fire, the cogs turning in his mind desperately trying to make a connection.
"It has to have something to do with her."
He paused and looked around at the group. Nobody else had any pearls of wisdom as they racked their brains.
"I'm going to go talk to him." Fred announced as he started for the stairs.

"Want me to come?" Bonnie asked, although she hoped he said no.

"No it's ok Bonnie, thanks. I think this needs to be twin to twin." He smiled kindly at her.

"Be gentle with him." She laughed quietly.

"If he behaves." Fred rolled his eyes.

Bonnie and the others sat quietly for a little while, until Hermione came to sit with them and immediately launched into an argument with Ron about homework, entertaining the rest of them for a while. They soon heard some distant yelling that made them fall silent and they hoped desperately it wasn't the twins, but they all knew it was. Nobody moved to intervene. When the twins fought, they were best left to hash it out between them.
Bonnie felt incredibly guilty. She felt as though all this was her fault.

With some relief, Angelina announced it was finally time to go down to the Great Hall for dinner. They all stood up immediately and all but ran toward the portrait to get out of the common room that was rife with tension and awkwardness.
They ate and conversation turned back to normal, the usual banter and school talk ensued. It wasn't until they were nearly finished desert that Fred and George emerged, walking a good distance from each other and looking bothered.

"They didn't make up..." Ron whispered, shocked.

The others all looked at each with concern. The twins often bickered, but they always made up afterwards. It was very uncommon for them to stay mad at each other for more than an hour or two.
Bonnie watched out of the corner of her eye, expecting the brothers to sit down with them. While Fred sat down beside Ron with a small huff, George did not.
The group of friends all raised their eyes in shock as they watched George walk toward the Hufflepuff table and sit with the dark haired girl from outside the common room before.

"What. the. Hell." Fred fumed. "You've got to be kidding me." He gestured angrily at George across the hall.
"I don't know him. Who the hell is he now?"

Bonnie noticed a distinct sadness in Fred's eyes.
"What happened up there Freddie?" She asked quietly, but she knew everyone was listening.

Fred sighed heavily.
"It's like in 24 hours he's become this whole other person. Literally 8 hours ago he was all excited to go to Hogsmeade with Bonnie, probably planning on snogging her the whole day - sorry Bonnie." Glancing at her apologetically.

Bonnie laughed and waved her hand, dismissing it.

"And now he's sitting over there with that girl none of us even know! When the hell did this happen?"

The reality suddenly dawned on Bonnie that this girl was probably a romantic interest. And for him to be comfortable enough to sit at the Huffelpuff table with her and sneak off to see her at any time... This had been happening while they had also been sneaking around kissing each other too. It made her sick to her stomach.

"If you'll excuse me guys, I'm going to get started on some studying." She stood with a small smile and walked from the dining hall, before anyone could say anything.
She felt eyes on her back. She knew her friends were watching her - concerned, but she didn't think George was one of them.