Chapter 45

Her parents were shocked when Bonnie had told them she was going to stay at a friends house for New Year's Eve, this was brand new for her. She had showed them the photo of the group George had given her on the train, and her parents had been overjoyed for her. But she kept the photo of her and George to herself, for the moment there was nothing to tell.

"We are so proud of you sweetie. They look like a really lovely bunch of kids." Her mum had told her as she patted her back.

Christmas morning was wonderful, the snow was falling outside the large window of her bedroom as she stirred from a restful sleep. She had heard her mother downstairs preparing breakfast as she hummed and her father bringing in fire wood to feed the flames that kept them warm.
She padded downstairs to hug them and wish them a merry Christmas. The three of them quietly sipped their coffees as they exchanged the presents under the tree.

Bonnie had received a new book on astrology that she had her eye on for a few months now, as well as a fancy new quill and ink set, and the biggest box of Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans that she had ever seen. She was absolutely delighted with her haul.

It was now one day before New Year's Eve and Bonnie was gazing at her moving photos. She really missed her friends and couldn't wait to see them. Especially George.
But she had been having a pleasant holiday with her parents. She was thoroughly enjoying being able to sit in her happy place again - at her window with a cup of tea in one hand and her eye pressed to her golden telescope, surveying the nights sky.
It was so much quieter than she remembered here. She supposed she was used to never getting a moment of peace now that she had a big group of friends, whom she had been receiving owls from every few days. Mainly from Hermione and Angelina, but her heart had done a flip when she had seen a letter with George's familiar scrawl. It had been short but sweet.

Bonnie,

I hope Errol finds you alright. He's a bit of a looper.

Ginny is very much looking forward to you coming and being able to rescue her from the likes of us boys.
I suppose it would be amiss of me not to say that I'm very much looking forward to your arrival too. I miss your face.

Looking forward to New Year's Eve with you.
George x

Bonnie felt giddy for a good two days after receiving the letter from George. She had started packing very early, wanting make sure her outfits were perfect.

Soon New Year's Eve morning came and Bonnie was preparing to travel to The Burrow with Floo Powder. Mr Weasley at the ministry, had managed to hook their house up to the Floo Network temporarily to make it easy to get there.
She hugged her parents goodbye and a happy new year as she stepped into the fire place with her bag, and a pinch of the dry powder Ginny had sent her via owl earlier in the week.

"The Burrow!" She said loudly and clearly as she threw the powder and disappeared into the green flames, her last sight being her muggle father looking absolutely horrified at the fire that had just engulfed his daughter.

Bonnie coughed out the soot she seemed to have just swallowed as she found her feet on the ground of a large fireplace in an unfamiliar house. There was nobody in the immediate vicinity as she made to step out onto the floorboards.
Suddenly she was engulfed in a tight hug from a ginger girl who was squealing in delight at her arrival.

"Mum she's here!" Ginny yelled as she let Bonnie go.
"How are you!? You have no idea how glad I am you're here. Angelina and Hermione should be arriving in the next few hours too."

Bonnie didn't have time to respond as Molly Weasley rounded the corner and also pulled her into a warm hug.
"So lovely to see you again my dear. I was delighted to hear you'd be joining us. Quickly come, I've just made some hot chocolate. Everyone's around the table." She ushered Bonnie through the cosy kitchen and into the large dining room with a long table and mismatched chairs.

Bonnie grinned around the room as she spotted some of the people she loved most in the world, plus Arthur Weasley and his eldest son Bill who were talking animatedly about muggle money. Ron and Harry were discussing quidditch with Fred, while Percy had his nose in a book looking rather annoyed at all the chatter.
Ginny pulled out a chair for Bonnie and gestured for her to sit down as Mrs Weasley guided multiple cups of steaming hot chocolate with marshmallows over to the table with her wand. Bonnie sipped the delicious beverage, feeling it warm her insides. She felt so at home here already.

She heard a clattering down the rickety looking wooden stairs and glanced up. George.
They locked eyes and both their faces lit up.

"You're here!" He said as he walked quickly over to where she was sitting and took the seat next to her. He reached under the table and gave her thigh a quick squeeze and suddenly Bonnie felt like they were back in time, before George had agreed to go on that date with Marietta.

She grinned sheepishly at him and glanced around hoping nobody had seen his hand squeeze her leg.
"Miss me Weasley?" She teased, shifting in her chair.

"I miss you the second you leave any room Peers." He said quietly to her, before joining the conversation about Quidditch fouls with his brothers and Harry.

Bonnie's stomach did gymnastics and her face grew warm. Had she heard that right?

Ginny elbowed her.
"Oi, what did he just say to you? You look like you're about to vomit. If he was mean to you I-"

"No Gin, he wasn't being mean." Bonnie laughed, calming her friend. "He was actually being... really nice."

"That's new." Ginny said, rolling her eyes.

———
A/N - I would really appreciate it if you could vote for this story if you're enjoying it and maybe recommend it to anyone else you think would like it!   Thank you! :)