Chapter 27

Those words hit Bonnie's heart like a freight train. Her jaw clenched and her stomach tied itself in knots.
"No... I don't-... W-What do you mean it's George? Where is he? What happened?" Bonnie craned her neck around the corner, pushing forward again scanning the common room desperately willing George to be just around the corner.

Angelina pushed her back against the wall.
"Stop. He's not here, he's in the hospital wing. He's really hurt Bon."

Bonnie's eyes stung with tears and she swallowed hard, willing herself not to cry in front of anyone. She let the words soak into her mind. George was hurt, really hurt. Judging by Angelina's face - it was bad.
Her voice cracked as she asked, "How?"

Angelina finally leant away in frustration.
"This bloody stupid new product he's been working madly on!"

"Oh my- Ange! That was fire! Like, dragon fire! So he- he's burnt?" Bonnie's stomach dropped. She had warned him. Right before he kissed her.

"It's bad Bon. Real bad. They think they are going to have to transport him to St. Mungo's. Madam Pomfrey is doing everything she can. George is unconscious so he isn't in any pain which we can be thankful for at least."

Bonnie felt her knees weaken and had to steady herself against the wall. She stared at the ground as unwanted images flooded her mind of George red and bloody, laying in a hospital bed. Her tears escaped her eyes.

"Hey, it's going to be ok mate. He's going to be ok." Angelina voice shook as she took Bonnie into her arms and squeezed her tight.

"Can we see him? Can we go to the hospital wing?" Bonnie said into Angelina's shoulder.

"All the Weasley's are there are the moment, including his mum and dad. I don't really want to intrude. But I've been thinking the same thing." She let go of Bonnie and tucked a strand of hair behind the crying girls ear.
"Let's go for a walk down to the hospital wing ok? Maybe we will run into Ron or someone who can update us."
Bonnie nodded silently as Angelina guided her out of the common room into the corridor.

Angelina kept one arm around Bonnie's shoulders as they walked slowly toward the hospital wing. She thought it was unlikely they'd be let in to see George but it was worth a shot.

Bonnie stared at the ground letting Angelina lead her. She wasn't taking notice of her surroundings, too caught up in thought about George. What if the last thing that had happened between them was her practically slamming the bathroom door in his face when he tried to say something to her last night? She would never forgive herself. They were in such a bad place.
A fresh wave of tears streamed down her face and she tried to wipe them away with her hand as Angelina squeezed her tighter.

Before long, they arrived at the hospital wing. Ron and Ginny were sitting outside in the hall when they looked up to see the two girls approaching. Ginny jumped up and enveloped them both in a big hug, one arm around each girl. When she let go Ron was also standing, but didn't come any closer, he was careful not to look at them.

"Are you ok Gin?" Bonnie asked quietly, fixing a strong face.

"Yes... but no. I'm not sure. Mum and dad are in there at the moment talking to Madam Pomfrey. They haven't even let us see him yet. Fred's in the bathroom, he hasn't come out for a long while. I think he's really upset. Lee was here earlier but I think he felt weird, like he was encroaching. I wish he had stayed though."

"Do you mind if I sit with you for a bit?"

"Yes! Please stay Bonnie. I need someone to talk to. Ron is no good."

Bonnie sat on the ground next to Ginny as Angelina indicated she was going to try find Fred. The young red head seemed like she was putting on a brave face, she just needed some company. After a few minutes of silence listening to a ticking clock and the occasional gust of wind outside, the girls started chatting about Quidditch. Bonnie knew Ginny lived and breathed Quidditch and it was probably a good topic to get her mind off George, if only for a moment.
However it wasn't much good to Bonnie. She felt physically ill sitting out here while George was just metres away all burnt and broken. Something inside her yearned to see him, to hold his hand and be close to him.

Footsteps echoed around them as Fred and Angelina came into view. Fred's face was red and puffy from crying and Angelina had an arm around him. Bonnie excused herself from Ginny for a moment and walked quickly up to Fred, throwing her arms around him and burying her face in his chest.

"Freddie, are you ok?" She mumbled into his jumper.
His arms tightened around her as he leant his chin on her head. The twins had rather frustratingly always been a head taller than her.

"As good as I can be Bon. How are you holding up?"

She unwrapped herself from his embrace.
"Oh you know... Fine I suppose. I really wanted to be here for you all, I feel slightly like I should leave you all be, at least until you find out first what's going on. But..."

"You're always welcome here. You're all like family by now, don't forget that. Plus the soulmate thing... I know, I know. Not the time or place. But it has to be taking a toll on you. Wether you like it or not, you and George are connected through something. And it hasn't been good between you two lately. I know this is killing you."

She waved a hand in his direction.
"Yes. But he's your brother Fred. Twin brother. It's going to be killing you more. Has there been any news?"

She tried to steer the conversation. It felt uncomfortable bringing the soulmate thing into this, when she just wanted to be here for the Weasley's and George.

Just then the large doors opened and an upset Mrs Weasley and downcast Mr Weasley emerged.