Chapter 29

TW - Mentions and description of burn victim.

"I'm not sure this is such a good idea Freddie. You heard what your parents said." Bonnie was at an impasse. She so badly wanted to see George, touch him, make sure he is ok. But she also wasn't sure if she was ready to face what he currently looked like. It must be bad if no one would allow them in. Even Molly said it herself.

"I need to see my brother Bon. It's been over a week. And I know you need to see him too. Hide it all you want, but I can see it in your eyes."
Bonnie sighed. He had her there, her heart ached like never before. She nodded.

"Ok great. Now, I've borrowed Harry's invisibility cloak-"

"His what?!" Bonnie had heard of those, but had no idea she actually knew someone with one.

"Long story, tell it to you another time. All that matters right now is that we have it, so we can sneak down there and into the hospital wing without being seen. I've just checked the map, Madam Pomfrey is in her quarters so it's clear."

Fred pulls out a large, shimmery cloak with an old fashioned, yet intricate dark pattern on it. It was beautiful, but Bonnie didn't get time to admire it before Fred yanked her over to stand next to him as he threw the cloak over the top of them.

"So we're just like... invisible now?"

"Yes. Now keep pace with me, if even one foot shows and a teacher is lurking, we are screwed ok?"

She nodded again. Fred seemed impatient and hardly himself. She figured he's probably just as concerned as she is about what they are going to see.
It was hard to see through the cloak and Fred kept stepping on her toes. He was much too tall to be in here, with someone else especially. He had to crouch down in what looked to be a very uncomfortable way. He didn't complain once though, his brow was furrowed, concentration and determination etched on his face. He was desperate to see his brother.

They walked quickly and in a rather un-graceful fashion. As Fred had promised, the corridors were clear of roaming teachers and they reached the large, wooden double doors that George lay behind.
Fred took out the map once more and double checked nobody was in there.
Bonnie saw it was only George present in the room and Madam Pomfrey was in a room off to the side - hopefully sleeping.

She took a deep breath, Fred did the same as they looked at each other, silently communicating their fear but also their longing.
Together they pushed open one of the doors and stepped inside. The room was expansive, with beds lining the walls on both sides. It was very plain and smelled of bandages and strange potions. Both their eyes fell on a sectioned off bed toward the other end of the room. It was surrounded by curtains on wheels and they immediately knew it was to protect anyone from seeing George.

Fred slowly removed the cloak from their bodies and began a steady walk toward his brother. Bonnie hung back slightly, knowing Fred needed this more than she did. He had the right to be alone with his brother for a moment.
She saw Fred roll one of the curtains to the side and his face dropped and the colour drained from him. All Bonnie could see right now was the foot of the bed, George was just out of sight.

Fred began sobbing. He seemed to forget Bonnie was even there as his whole body shook at the sight of his brother as he leaned on the bed frame for support.
Bonnie closed her eyes and steadied herself. She took steps forward, eyes trained on Fred, just needing to get there and hold him. She put a hand on his arm and slowly turned to face George.

She stopped breathing as her eyes fell on his once beautiful face. His soft, ginger hair was gone, as were his eyebrows. His skin was red, swollen, split and blistered. He was naked except a sheet draped over his middle to keep some modesty.
Her eyes trailed down his scorched body. Everything was red and welted from the top of his head down to his toes.

Bonnie's hand came to her mouth as tears spilled over her cheeks. She had some idea of what to expect, but the man before her was barely recognisable. She was thankful the blast had knocked him unconscious immediately and asleep he remained, because the agony that would come from burns like this would be phenomenal.

"Fred..." Bonnie could hardly get words to form in her mouth. She took Fred's hand and the sobbing boy turned to bury his face in her shoulder. He shook as he sobbed loudly, tears soaked through her clothes. Neither of them cared if they were heard in this moment.
She patted his back as the tears streamed down her face, into his jumper too.
Bonnie and Fred cried together for over a minute before they could even begin to collect themselves. Fred brushed away his tears and faced George's limp body again.

"We will fix this Georgie. If you can hear me, we are all here and we will fix this, fix you.
I miss you brother and I won't give up. We aren't done pranking Filch this year. Hang in there."

He turned to Bonnie expectantly. She blinked at him realising he wanted her to say something.

"Uh... yeah George. As soon as you're back in the common room with us, I promise I'll help you plan the most epic prank this school has ever seen."
She paused for a moment, looking at his sleeping face, his blistered lips she kissed not that long ago, and that she so desperately wanted to kiss again. A tear dropped down her nose.
"You're going to be ok my love." She said softly.
"You're going to come out the other side of this and I'm going to hold your hand the whole time. I will never let go. Come back to me. Please Georgie."