Chapter 38

"You have to try not to worry about him." Hermione was telling Bonnie as they left the Great Hall.

"Easy to say, hard to do." Bonnie mumbled.
She couldn't explain what she was feeling. Deep down she knew she had no claim over George, they hadn't even discussed feelings or becoming public or anything. She had just figured he would at least not be asking for or accepting dates - 2 steps away from where she sat.

Hermione had stopped in front of her and looked into her eyes with concern.
"I know you two have been fooling around. I see the way you look at him, it must of hurt you having to see that."

Bonnie said nothing, focusing on keeping her frown at bay. Hermione continued.
"You have to know, I do think he felt flustered and said yes out of pressure of not wanting to look like a prick in front of all those girls Bon. I see the way he looks at you too."

Bonnie nodded and sighed.
"I'm not cross with him Mione, just a little taken aback I think. Yesterday we were snogging and only 10 minutes ago he had his bloody hand on my thigh. I just didn't expect to go from that, to having to watch him accept offers of dates right in front of my face."

She was somewhat comforted by Hermione's words and she was extremely glad at this moment she had somebody to talk to, who knew what was going on with George and her.

"I understand - trust me, I do. For today, I think you should distance yourself slightly from George, not in a malicious way, but just to sort your thoughts out ok? Who knows! He may be able to come up with an excuse to get out of this date by the weekend." She smiled warmly at Bonnie with a hand on her arm.

"Thanks Hermione. I'm glad we've become friends. And I'm also kind of glad that your observation skills are so on point, as much as I was mortified you figured it out! It's nice to actually talk to someone to about this." Bonnie smiled back at her and the two girls waved goodbye as they headed off to class.

The rest of the day was uneventful and Bonnie did what Hermione suggested, she tried to keep a slight distance between herself and George while she sifted through the feelings she had worked hard to suppress. He seemed troubled when she went out of her way to sit at desks out of the area they were accustomed to sitting in together.
Evidently Angelina and Fred also thought that was strange as Angelina approached Bonnie at the end of the day.

"Oi, what the hell is going on with you? Did I do something to upset you? Was it Fred? Was it- oh my gosh, it was George. Of course it was." She said mostly to herself as she pressed her head into her palm.
"That boy is back in classes one day and he's already causing issues. Typical. So spill. What did he do this time."

She was strong but also very comforting in the way she talked, it helped Bonnie to relax slightly as they walked slowly toward the common room together.

"Honestly Ange it's fine, someone just gave me some advice that I should maybe distance myself from him slightly and figure out how I feel now he's back in our every day life again, all be it - looking like a beetroot." She chuckled, trying to make the situation light.
"I'm assuming you heard what happened at breakfast this morning."

Angelina shook her head with her brows knitted together.
Bonnie continued.
"Oh he has groupies now apparently. A bunch of girls that want to follow him around because he's all hurt and brave and tough. One of them asked him out in the boldest way I've ever seen in person."

"Wait- so he said yes? Right in front of you?!" Angelina exclaimed, slapping a hand on Bonnie's arm as she nodded.

"Boys never learn do they. It's like their brains are mush." She shook her head. "Well whoever gave you that advice - my guess is Hermione correct? She was right. You do need to sort out how you feel for real, then you need to have an uncomfortable but necessary conversation with ol' Georgie the woman whisperer. He's a twat, but he's one of the more reasonable Weasley's."

They walked into the common room to see the twins deep in conversation in their usual spot by the fire. They looked up as the two girls entered. Fred nudged George slyly and nodded toward Bonnie.

George rose uncomfortably, smoothing his robes down with his red hands and cleared his throat.
"Fancy a chat Bon?" He said hesitantly.

She nodded and George led her through the portrait and out into the corridor.
"Out here?" Bonnie questioned as they walked a little ways further from the door.

"Well yes, I sort of want it to be private. I certainly don't want Fred eyeing me or Angelina and Hermione giving me death stares the whole time." He chuckled nervously.

"So what's up?" Bonnie asked him causally, crossing her arms over her chest and leaning back on the stone wall.

Fred raised an eyebrow at her.
"I think you know Bonnie."
She didn't answer him, only putting on a quizzical expression.
"Oh come on Bon, you've been ignoring me all day since... since breakfast."

"I haven't been ignoring you. When you speak to me I answer, right?"

"Well... yes. Right." George looked at the ground, silent for a moment.
"You know it doesn't mean anything, that date." He said, using his hands to produce air quotes as he said the word 'date'. 

"You best tell that to Marietta then. Because she probably, understandably does think it means something." Bonnie said, standing up straight.
"See I'm not sure if you know this George, but when you tell a girl that - hmm I don't know... you'll go on a date with them, they'll believe it. And when you hypothetically kiss a girl, they'll believe that too." She finished quietly.
She hadn't used an angry tone, because she wasn't angry. But she wasn't about to let herself or even bloody Marietta, get led on and played by a boy.