Chapter 44

When the time came to board the Hogwarts Express to go home for Christmas break, Bonnie and Angelina moved quickly to secure themselves a closed compartment. Hurrying in, they slammed the door and giggled as they spread out on the two seats that faced each other.

"Ah this is the life!" Said Angelina as she stretched her arms over her head.

It was just the two of them in the compartment. Harry, Ron and Hermione had opted to sit together on their own, Ginny was with her friends from her year and Fred, George and Lee were off gallivanting, no doubt wreaking havoc on other unfortunate souls. 

"So do you think your parents will let you come to The Burrow for New Years?" Bonnie asked her friend.

"I hope so! Even Hermione and Lee are going. I'll be pissed if I have to miss out!"

The train started moving as the two girls chatted about their plans for the holidays. Bonnie had never been one to get excited over Christmas or anything like that. She did enjoy getting to go home, but not much else was different.
They were starting to relax into the swaying motion of the train that moved quickly, but gently through the darkening landscape covered with snow, when the door slid open loudly making them jump.

"Excellent job snagging this compartment for us girls." Fred clapped Angelina on the shoulder as he slid in next to her. He was met with a scowl.

"This wasn't for your benefit. Bonnie and I have been having a really nice relaxing trip so far. But now that's ruined." She rolled her eyes.

"Secretly she loves us, deep down." Fred whispered loudly to Bonnie.

"Yeah, reeeally deep down Fred. Twat." Angelina punched him in the shoulder.

Bonnie and George laughed at the two who were now arguing and punching each other playfully.
Bonnie noted how close George was sitting to her, their legs were touching. She didn't move away from him, but she also didn't react.

The four of them chatted lightly about nothing in particular and Bonnie started to doze sitting upright, her head was lolling and it made her friends giggle at her drowsiness. Suddenly she shot upright as Fred let out a holler of anguish as he watched the Trolley Lady roll right past where they were sitting.

"What's happening!? That is the highlight of any train ride and she just rolled right past like we are invisible? My heart just shattered that she would do me like that." He pouted. "If you listen really carefully... when I move, you can hear my broken heart inside my chest, rattling around." Fred started shaking his body in an uncoordinated fashion, making Bonnie snort with laughter.

"You big baby." Angelina huffed as she grabbed his arm and tugged. "C'mon, let's go get the lady who broke your heart." She slid open the door and dragged Fred down the corridor as he continued to complain.

George and Bonnie sat quietly, staring out the window as Fred complaints faded into the sounds of the train.

"So hey... I got you something for Christmas." George said.

"You what?"

"It's nothing special. I just thought you might like it and when's a better time to give them to you but Christmas?" He smiled at her.

"Oh George I haven't got you anything!" Bonnie felt instantly guilty.

George reached in his coat pocket and withdrew two photos.
"That doesn't matter to me Bon." He said as he placed the photos in her hand.

She looked down at them. One was a moving photograph of the group of them. All of her friends were there in the common room, huddled on the couches. They were holding onto each other and laughing at a joke she couldn't remember, they all looked incredibly happy.

"I don't even remember this being taken." She breathed, smiling at the photo.

"It was taken at Lee's party. We were probably all a bit drunk. I got a few copies, I'm going to give everyone one." He grinned, leaning over her shoulder to watch the animated people in the photo. Her skin prickled as she felt the heat from his body and warmth flushed her cheeks.

She slid that photo behind the second photo. Her breath hitched as she looked at this moving picture. It was her and George, she was sitting on his lap as his arms encircled her waist. They were smiling at the camera before laughing and turning to gaze at each other. There was longing there in the look they gave each other, Bonnie had never seen it first hand like this. They both looked enamoured with each other and overjoyed with the other person being right there.

"You probably don't remember this one either. It was at that party too. Right before we... well you know. Right before I ruined it... the first time." He chuckled, feeling unsure.

"I love these. Thank you George." Bonnie whispered. And she meant it. She was going to frame these immediately when she got home.
She reached out and squeezed his hand quickly, making him blush.

"It's no problem. I've kept one of each as well, for myself." He smiled, catching her eye.
She smiled back at him and for a moment, she was lost in his swirling, hazel eyes.
It didn't last long before the door slammed open again and a still arguing Angelina and Fred came tumbling back in, snapping George and Bonnie out of whatever moment they just had. She slid the photographs into her pocket with a small smile and refocused on the two friends opposite her.

Fred's arms were laden with sweets and cakes as well as 4 bottles of ice cold pumpkin juice.

"We are literally 20 minutes from pulling into the station Fred, there's no way you can eat all that. You just wasted your money." Angelina was saying.

Fred scoffed.
"First of all Ange, you know you can take food with you. And second of all - I like a challenge."

"Oh you'll be sick, you fool." She said, cringing away from him as if he was about to throw up on her.
He ripped open the first sweet and shoved it into his mouth as he handed a pumpkin juice to each person. Bonnie and George took theirs gratefully. Angelina mocked unwillingness, but they could see the smile tugging at her lips.

"Don't worry Fred, I'll help!" George puffed out his chest as he grabbed a handful of food from his brother.

Bonnie couldn't help but laugh.
"You guys will never be able to finish all that!"

Fred turned to her with a determined look in his eye.
He and George said in unison,
"Watch us."