Chapter 53

Between stolen kisses and under the table hand holding, Bonnie had noticed George had been acting cagey all week. She couldn't put her finger on what the issue was, but he would receive short notes by owl and disappear at random times of the day and night.
She originally thought that perhaps he was embarrassed that they were hooking up, but nobody seemed to catch on that the kiss they saw at the New Years party was anything more than a drunken, one time make out. No one else - not even Fred, seemed to know what was going on with him.

By the time the weekend rolled around, Bonnie had had a gut full of George's strange behaviour. She decided that during their trip to Hogsmeade (that she convinced herself was not a date) she was going to ask him what was going on.

It was a cold Saturday, so Bonnie ensured she was sufficiently rugged up in a big coat, fluffy scarf and beanie. She met George in the entrance of the castle who was as rugged up as her. He beamed at her as they caught sight of each other, the usual butterflies ever present inside her.

By the time they had reached Hogsmeade, they were frozen to the core. They hadn't spoke much on the walk there, too focused on walking quickly and wrapping their scarves around their heads with only their eyes peeking out.
Reaching the 3 broomsticks was a blessing when the warm air hit them as the door opened. Bonnie's nose and fingers hurt as they thawed.
They took a table as close to the blazing fire as possible and George ordered them a round of Butterbeers. Madam Rosmerta delivered the warm, frothy beverages quickly and Bonnie wrapped her hands around the glass, closing her eyes as her body took in the warmth and breathed in the deliciously sweet smell.

George was making polite conversation about their class schedule for the semester.
"-and you better make sure you save a seat next to me in all the classes we are in together!" He laughed, his hand cupping hers gently as he spoke.

"Well sure, but if you keep disappearing randomly like you have been, I can't promise someone else won't take that seat." She said as casually as possible, averting her eyes from his and taking a sip of her butterbeer.

She felt George falter for a moment and and awkward sort of smile appeared on his face as he pulled his hand away.
"What do you mean?"

"Oh please George, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Everyone's noticed, not just me!" She said, slightly louder than she would have liked.

He looked taken aback and a little bit like a cornered animal. Bonnie furrowed her brow as she surveyed just how uncomfortable such a simple spoken observation made him.
"Look, I didn't bring you here to berate you, I'm just worried. I want to know what's going on with you."

His eyes looked down at his half empty glass.
"I um... It's honestly nothing Bon, I really don't know what you're talking about."

It was a blatant and obvious lie. Bonnie's mouth turned to a grimace of disgust as her mind instantly went to the bad things.
"Are you embarrassed of me? Is that it? You're ashamed to be secretly making out with the likes of me and you have to get away now and then?"

His eyes widened and shot up at her.
"What? No! Bonnie no! Absolutely not."

"Then what the hell is it George?! If you're in trouble, if you need help or anything, please tell me! I am here for you always!" She fought through her anger and lay a hand on his arm tenderly, looking into his eyes with as much kindness as she could muster.

Since the party at The Burrow, Bonnie had been on cloud nine, being so close to George now and finally getting somewhere with their relationship. She couldn't understand what was getting in the way. It was always something. Why was her life like one of the soap opera's her mother watched? Couldn't it just be easy and smooth?

George's eyes had glazed over as he looked down with an aura of guilt, not even answering. Making it clear he didn't want to talk about it any longer.

"Ok then." Bonnie pressed her palms into the table helping herself up.
"I'm going to go." She turned to leave.

"Where are you going?" George had a tone of panic in his voice.

"Away George. I don't know why you agreed to come here if you won't even talk to me about anything other than school."

"Bonnie don't..." He said quietly, half hearted.

Bonnie looked at him for a moment, as if begging him to say more, fight more, pull her back. But he didn't. So she turned and walked out the door without so much as a glance back.

She didn't know where she was headed, tears were misting over her eyes making it hard to see. She couldn't even feel the cold biting at her exposed skin. She could not comprehend what had just happened. They were chatting normally and suddenly he shut down like a damn robot. All she wanted was to understand and help him.

Bonnie found herself at the shrieking shack, nobody else was around. She hadn't been here before, rumour has it that it's the most haunted house in Britain. Nobody dares go near it, but at the moment Bonnie felt like she could embrace the specific darkness it exuded.

She sat on a small boulder and stared blankly at the creaky wooden house down the snowy path, it seemed to almost sway in the cold wind.
The tears she had been holding spilled over her cheeks as a large sob racked her body. Just one sob. That's all she let herself do, yet the tears continued to silently stream down her face as she sat quietly.

She tried to ignore the dull ache in her body caused by George, where the butterflies usually were.