Chapter 56

George didn't talk to Bonnie for the rest of the week. They were unlucky enough to have to sit next to each other in Divination, but George dragged his chair to the very end of the desk and sat with his back facing her. Plus he wouldn't even speak to Fred unless it was about their business, even then - it was short and to the point before he scuttled off again.
Bonnie felt as though her heart was breaking more and more everyday. Fred was feeling the same, never in the twins entire lives have the gone this long without living in each other's pockets.

"We have to find that girl and talk to her." Fred decided the weekend after Bonnie and George's disastrous Hogsmeade trip.

"Do you really think she's going to tell us anything Fred? If George and her have a... thing, she's not going to like us anymore than George does at the moment." Bonnie sighed.

Her mind was filled with the images of George and the dark haired beauty sitting together at the Hufflepuff table a handful of times over the last week. She tried not to look now after seeing the girls hand resting on George's leg once. Plus she had been hearing rumours that they had been caught looking cosy multiple times. It was too much for Bonnie.
When George wasn't sitting at the Hufflepuff table, he sat at the other end of the Gryffindor table, away from all his family and friends. Sometimes he didn't come down to eat at all. Nobody could figure out what was going on.

"Doesn't matter wether she wants to talk to us or not, because I'm going to make her." Fred snarled.

Bonnie was a little taken aback by his ferocity. But she had to admit, something had to give. At the moment this girl was their only option.
With that, they planned out how they would approach her and sprung into action.

They decided that Fred was going to invite George to go down for dinner with them. Recently whenever someone invited him to come with them, he said no and didn't come at all. So without George there, they could hang around the entrance to the great hall and surprise the girl as she exited, pulling her to the side.

Fred and Bonnie went to dinner very early. They ate slowly with one eye on the door, noting when the girl entered. Once she had been in there for a reasonable amount of time, they finished up their own meals quickly and headed for the door.
They stood casually, leaning against the wall opposite the Great Hall door chatting idly, all the while waiting to strike.
Their moment came about 10 minutes into their waiting. The girl strolled out, thankfully alone. She spotted them immediately. It's like she sensed why they were there and picked up her pace to get passed them before they could get ahold of her. But Fred's long legs were no match for hers. He easily stepped in front of her, blocking her path.

He stuck his hand out and forced a smile that looked more like a grimace.
"I'm Fred. I believe you recognise me, as you've been spending a lot of time with my identical twin. I however, don't know you. It's about time that changed don't you think?" His voice was silky but was textured with an aggressive undertone.

She looked almost frightened, before it was replaced with a look of smugness.
"Emma Vane." She took Fred's hand and shook it roughly before quickly letting go.

Bonnie stepped forward to introduce herself.
"And I'm Bo-"

"I know who you are." She snapped.

Bonnie and Fred glanced at each other cautiously.
"And how do you know that? We've never been introduced."

"As you said, George has been spending a lot of time with me." She glared at Bonnie. "He talks to me."

"Why?" Fred demanded.

"What do you mean why?" She spat. "We are close. Actually, closer than close." She blinked slowly, gazing pompously at the two in front of her.

"George doesn't know you. He didn't before Christmas break as far as I know. But all of a sudden the first day of term he's running off to meet you out of nowhere? It doesn't make sense." Fred had his eyes narrowed at Emma.

"Actually, I think she was sending him notes over break as well Fred. George and I were... um, he was showing me around your house when Errol arrived with a letter. George got cagey as usual when he read it and quickly put it in his pocket so I wouldn't see."

"Well if you two will excuse me, I must be going. I have someone to see." She turned on her heel and took a step, but Fred grabbed her arm.

"Get your hand off me, prick." She growled as she whipped back around to glare at him.

Fred raised his hands in innocence.
"We haven't finished speaking Emma."

She let out a hollow laugh.
"Well I have. Do not approach me again." She turned again to walk off before stopping and calling over her shoulder.
"You two make a disgustingly fine couple. Go on Bonnie, he looks just like George. What's the difference really?" She sniggered as she left.

Bonnie was furious. Her face was red with concealed rage and her hands were fists at her side. Fred wasn't looking any calmer.
"Can you believe her!?" Bonnie cried.

Fred didn't trust himself to speak, he could only shake his head slowly as he stared after Emma.

"Come on Fred." Bonnie said, defeated.
They walked silently back to the common room, trying to process everything that just happened.
As they entered, Hermione, Angelina and Ginny looked up from the couches, smiling at them before they frowned at the look on both their faces.

"You guys know of an Emma Vane?" Bonnie asked her friends as she sat down heavily next to Ginny.

"Emma Vane? Isn't she the older sister of that Romilda girl here in Gryffindor? I think Emma is in a different house though, the year above me. I hear Romilda is a very talented potioneer." Hermione answered. "I couldn't tell you what Emma looks like though, I haven't taken much notice."

"Oh we know what she looks like don't worry." Fred said with disgust. The three girls raised their eyebrows at him in surprise.
"I think she's done something to George."