t h e m a l f o y s

Draco POV
____________

I wish I could stay here forever. In her bed, with her body calmly sleeping on mine, feeling her breaths as her chest opens and closes. I held her and stroke her cheek, gently so I won't wake her up.

I could get used to this. To her.

But she wouldn't. I know she wouldn't because of the way I am. I am possessive, damaged and incapable of giving love.

All of sudden, the calmness in the room was interrupted by a loud band on one of the windows.

Chloé moved a little, but thank Merlin, it didn't wake her up. She's in a deep sleep, she must be so tired from the nightmares. Poor her.

I got up very carefully, trying to not wake her, and walked to the window to see what was that. Turned out my owl knew exactly where I am, what an intelligent bird. I opened the window and grabbed the letter she was holding in her beak.

"Thank you," I pet my owl for a while and then closed the window.

Draco, dear
I'm sorry to rush you, but it's urgent. Your dad wants you here as soon as you receive this letter. It's important, don't tell anyone.
We'll be waiting for you in the library room.
Mom

I didn't have to think twice. I was wondering when would I receive a letter like this.

They want me to join Death eaters.

No matter how many times I've told them that's never gonna happen. No matter how much it destroyed my mom.

If the Dark Lord says, they have no choice.

My mood instantly got worse when I thought about having to leave Chloé all alone, when I just wanted to spend a nice morning with her. Can I have one normal day?

I guess not.

I walked to her bed where she was still asleep and covered her with another blanket, because it was a cold morning.

Then I did something in a spur of moment.
I gently placed a small kiss on her forehead. Sometimes I don't know what to expect of myself anymore.

Later

The Malfoy manor looks even worse than the last time a visited. It seems like the sun hasn't shown its light for a very long time, the trees were all dead, including the white roses my mom used to grow. Her favorite.

I didn't have a good feeling of this. I'm worried I won't know what to do if Lucius asks me to join them.

The inside was very dark, almost no day light at all, the only source of light were candles. I went straight to the library as my mother wrote in the letter.

"Draco, my lovely boy." Greeted me my mother and placed a kiss on my forehead, just like I did to Chloé a few minutes ago.

"Mother," I nodded my head. I was in no mood for sweet words and chitchats.

She sensed it instantly and gave up her smile.

"You don't even bother to say hello to your father? Did we raise you like that?" asked my father, or as I like to call him, Lucius. He's no father of mine. I respect him, but we're never gonna have father - son relationship. And I think he knows that very well.

"Hello, father." I grunted.

Mother offered me to sit next to her on a big black couch in front of a fireplace.

"Draco...I-we have to tell you som-"

"I know. But you know my answer."

"The Dark Lord offered especially you to join us, my boy." Announced Lucius while pouring himself a drink.

"Well, tell the Dark Lord to go fu-"

"How dare you!" Screamed Lucius and threw the glass on the floor, it shattered.

"Stop it! Both of you! Lucius... I told you he wouldn't like it." Begged mom.

"You promised me. Does that mean nothing to you?" My voice cracked a little.

"I don't think you understand. The Dark Lord may have just offered you, but next time, it's gonna be his order." Said Lucius.

"Draco, please..."

"I have to think it through. Give me time."

"Yes, honey, take how much time you want." Answered mom.

"But not too much." Grunted Lucius.

"I have to go. See you later, father."

My mom walked me to the front door. We stopped, looked at each other, and all of sudden she hugged me. She hasn't done that in years.

"Draco, listen. I was stupid to invite your girlfriend over for Christmas. It's not safe here anymore. Don't do it, okay honey?" She whispered to my ear, like she didn't want Lucius to know even if he's far from us.

"I thought so." I whispered back.

"And...I-I..."

"Mom?"

"I'm just so worried about us. I know I promised you, but a promise like that means nothing to your father."

"Mom, I have to go. Chloé's waiting for me." I released from the hug.

"Yes, of course. Send me some pictures of you two together. But to my own owl, not ours. Lucius can't know."

I don't understand why a beautiful and intelligent woman like my mother would marry someone totally opposite, my father.

"Bye, mom." I held the black book and shifted back to Hogwarts.