Visionary

Drina POV

"They were there for two days, waiting, hiding. That's what we're taught to do when the hunters find us... hide and heal."

Cora says looking out the window as it rains.
Cora, Stiles and I are in the loft just waiting.
Stiles pacing, Cora at the window me on the couch.
After Boyd was killed Derek left.
I understand it he needed time.
But we don't know when he'll come back.
He's not answering any of us.
Not even me.

"Okay, so is two days standard, then, or are we thinking Derek's on, like, some extended getaway?"
"Why do you care?"
"Why do I care? Let's see... because over the last few weeks, my best friend's tried to kill himself. His boss nearly got ritually sacrificed. A girl that I've known since I was three was ritually sacrificed. Boyd was killed by alphas. I... do you want me to keep going? 'Cause I can, all right? For, like, an hour."
"You think Derek can do anything about that?"
"Well, since he's the one everyone seems to be after, it's more like he should do something about it, yeah."
"don't know. There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when we knew him."
"Well what was he like?"
I asked now walking over as Peter comes down the stairs.
"A lot like Scott, actually. A lot like most teenagers... unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic, tolerable really only to other teenagers."
"And so what happened? What changed him?"
"Well, the same thing that changes a lot of young men... A girl."
"You're telling me some girl broke his little heart? That's why Derek is the way he is?"
"Do you remember Derek before he was an Alpha had blue eyes? Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes?"
"I just always thought it was, like, a genetic thing."
"If you want to know what changed Derek, you need to know what changed the color of his eyes."

With that Peter starts telling us the story of Derek and Paige.

"Okay, so if Derek was a sophomore back then, how old was he? How old were you? How old are you now?"
Stiles asked from the table with Cora.
I'm back on the couch laying on Peter honestly trying not to fall asleep.
With everything going on with me I've been really tired almost all the time.
I'm living off coffee and early bedtimes.
"Not as young as we could have been, but not as old as you might think."
"Okay, that was frustratingly vague. How old are you?" Stiles asked pointing to Cora.
"I'm 17."
"See, that's an answer. That's how we answer people."
"Well, 17 how you'd measure in years." She said with a smile.
"All right, I'm just gonna drop it. What happened to Derek and the cello girl?"
"What do you think happened? They were teenagers. One minute, it's, "I hate you, don't talk to me." The next, it's frantic groping in any dark corner they could manage to find themselves alone for five minutes. Their favorite dark corner was an abandoned distillery outside of Beacon Hills."
"All right, hold up. How do you know all this? You just said that they were alone."
I asked giving him a raised eyebrow.
"Back then, I wasn't just Derek's Uncle. I was his best friend, his closest confidante. That's how I know."

He continued to tell us about them and a pack meeting that happened that day.

"Our mark for vendetta."
Peter says as he drew a spiral on the window in the fog.
"Man, you guys really take that revenge thing to, like, a whole new level, don't you?"
"It's not just revenge. Losing a member of your pack isn't like losing family. It's like you lose a limb."
He tells us about how Ennis went for the kids body and about how dad was there.
I remember Stiles and I sitting on the stairs listening to him and mom talk about this case.

"I don't get it. What does this have to do with Derek?"
I asked looking at him.
"Everything. It's never just a single moment. It's a confluence of events. Personally, I looked at Ennis' circumstances, I saw a profound loss. Derek saw something different. He saw opportunity."
"Opportunity? To do what?"
"To always be with her."
"The thing was, he had this constant fear. He was obsessing over it, thinking about it all night, all day, always on his mind."

"I kept telling him not to do it. Every day the more he thought about it, the more convinced he became. You know teenagers. I bet he even blames me. He's probably convinced himself the whole thing was my idea."
Peter said that Derek wanted to bite Paige so they can be together forever.
As he said Derek blames Peter I have a feeling that it was actually Peter's idea.
Which wouldn't surprise me.

He moved on to telling us about druids and what they do.
"They keep us connected to humanity. But they're a secret even in the pack. Sometimes only the Alpha knows who the emissary is. Derek and I had no idea about Deaton."
"Or his sister, Morrell."
"She's an emissary too?"
"For the Alpha pack."
"Our guidance counselor? Why the hell don't you people tell me any of this stuff, huh? I shared some really intimate details with her."
"And did she give you good advice?"
"Yeah she did."
"That's what they do. That's what Deaton used to do for Talia."

Now we are on to how Paige was bitten.
"Ennis? Why would he choose him?"
"Why not? Ennis needed a new member for his pack. Paige was young and strong. Doing a favor for Derek meant Ennis would be in good with Talia. Back then, everybody wanted to be in good with her."
"He doesn't remember it was Ennis, does he?" I asked, I can tell this story isn't going to end well.
"If he does, he keeps it to himself."
"So then what happened? Did he turn her?"
"Almost. He came at Ennis. A 15year-old boy against a giant. There was no reason for him to fight. She'd already been bitten."

"So did she turn?"
"She should have. Most of the time, the bite takes. Most of the time."
"When you offered it to me, you said, "if it doesn't kill you."
"If."
"He knew the answer, though. It didn't matter that she was young and strong. Some people just aren't made for this. But she fought. She struggled desperately, trying to survive."

"I remember taking her body from his arms, to the woods, to a place where I knew that it would be found... another in a long line of Beacon Hills animal attacks."
Paige died.

"And what about Derek?"
"Taking an innocent life takes... Something from you as well, a bit of your soul... darkening it, dimming the once brilliant, golden yellow to a cold, steel blue... like mine."
He said flashing his eyes.
He walked away and I followed.

"Purple. My eyes have glowed and they glowed purple."
That made him look at me with confusion.
"Purple?"
"Yes purple. It happened when I got mad. Issac was beating the shit out of Ethan and I shouted at him to stop and Ethan told me he saw my eyes flash purple. What does it mean?"
"I don't know. I've never heard of something like this."
"Well that's useful.  *Sigh* I wish Talia was here. She would probably know."
"Maybe she would. But Drina we have determined one thing. You are changing. I can sense it. You're getting stronger, faster, more agile. You're going to be something amazing. You're going to be what you're meant to be."