Sunset.

XANDER'S POV.

We had been walking for what seemed like a couple of hours now and the sun was starting to set , we moved at a slow pace due to our condition , especially Katherine , every now and then her nose would start to bleed.

"X" she whispered in defeat , my head turned in her direction to see her nose was bleeding again , she gripped her hair in pain.

That was new too , she was starting to get migraines. I wanted to help , but there wasn't much I could do as of now , we hand no resources and I had no clue what the fuck was happening to her. Neither did she , she was well educated on her kind but she never heard of this before.

Seeing a nice clearing in a cliff , I grabbed a hold of her hand and lead her to it.

The sun was setting and beautiful shades of pink , purple and orange swam above us. Spreading its colouration across the sky , I had Katherine take a seat on the floor.

Our clothes were tatted , dirt all over mine but Katherine's was ripping in her top.

"I'll be back love. , I'm going to catch some food."She only nodded her head. I knew I shouldn't leave her to herself but I wanted her too eat , hell we both needed too. Wolves could last quite a long time without food however it only made you weaker.

Shifting into my midnight wolf , I sprinted until I came across a dear. It simply nibbled on the greenery below it. I crouched down low , waiting for my chance while I looked for a good point to sink my canines.

I crept up to it slowly , and when it finally smelt my presence it's head snapped in my direction and I took that as my chance.

I pounced on it and sunk my canines into its neck. It squirmed in my hold but eventually went limp when I added extra pressure.

I trotted my way back to Katrina , who was sitting in the position I left her in.

When she sensed my presence , I dropped the dear near her and nudged her with my snout and indication to shift.

She shifted into her pure white wolf and I loved how our furs where the perfect contrast , like we were made for each other.

She came to my side and rubbed her body on me as a sign of gratitude and dug into the dear. I followed after her , suppressing my hunger finally. When we finished feasting , I went closer to her and licked the blood off of her snout and she gratefully licked the blood of mine too.

I shifted back and changed into the clothes that I changed out of before thankfully. I proceeded to find materials to start building a little shelter for us , with Katherine's protest to help , I shut her up immediately with a glare.

She had done enough for the both of us , she saved us , now I wanted to do something for her. Even if it was building her shelter.

Once I was done , I went over to sit behind her , my legs either side of her body and my arms went around her waist. She immediately relaxed against me , her head restring on my shoulder as we watched the sunset.

She was breathing extremely heavily , almost as though she was struggling to breath and it physically hurt me to see her in pain.

"Y-you hav-ven't" she was panting at this point " s-said muuch."

I sighed knowing she was right , I haven't said much because I was ashamed of myself , I was embarrassed and frankly I wanted to bury myself in a hole.

"Sp-peak t-to meee X" she whispered.

Turning in my lap slowly , her hand reached up to stroke my face and I leaned into her touch.

"Please." She begged.

Sighing " I failed to protect my pack , I failed to protect you."

Her eyebrows furrowed in..confusion?

"It was like I went down without a fight. Everything that has happened these last few days , I just feel like I could've done more. And I'm embarrassed that I failed everyone."

She suddenly had a dark look on her face.

Xander , you are the best damn Alpha I have ever met , and I've met a lot them. I know you gave it your all to protect everyone but not everyone can win against magic , especially dark magic. They cheated , they used what you don't have against you , against the pack . And while even I have the gift of powers , I struggled. None of us aren't at fault , no one but those rogues.

She spat the last bit through our mind link.

Her words made me feel a little better and for that I was grateful.

"Thank you." I kissed her neck and felt her shiver in my hold.

I started into her eyes , getting sucked into the icy blue and contrasting hazel brown. I've grown to love her eyes the most , knowing that as we grow old together , hopefully , if she'll accept me , that even though our appearance may change , her eyes will always stay the same.

She was such a kind hearted woman , even as a child , she always put others before herself and while I hated she did it , I admired her for it. This generation was full of snobby , rude wolves but she remained head high. She was strong , even after being rejected and almost killed by her mate , she was strong. I knew she'd be the perfect Luna , everyone in the pack loved her. When Katrina and I were kids , everyone wanted us to be mates just because they loved her that much.

She has done so much for the orphanage as-well , those kids always felt like no one loved them. But she made sure to make them feel apart of the family that is our pack. This pack deserved a good and loyal Luna , not the case that was Charlotte. Even thinking of her made me want to kill her with my bare hands.

But Katrina is who the pack deserved , I'd just hope she'd accept. I remember her being disgusted because of the previous Alpha's , but I would do everything to prove to her , I wouldn't use her. I wanted her because of the amazing , strong and beautiful woman she is and always has been.

I wanted to wake up everyday with my arms around her in my bed , I wanted to have my head buried in her brown , curly locks inhaling her sweet scent. I wanted to be the only man that could touch her and kiss her. Because I was in love with her , I was in love with Katrina Astevana Dio and I was going to do everything in my power to prove it to her.