VIII.

Chapter Eight.

Ms.Cross paced the floor at the front of her classroom as she explained to all twenty students that they would be responsible for conducting an experimental project. The project would be based on what unit they were on at the moment, and would be due within two weeks.

"As I was saying, you and your partner need to meet up outside of school hours to get this project done because I won't be allowing you to have class time to work on it. Here is a list of topics that you can use to complete the assignment based on what we have learned so far." She pressed a button on her remote, and a PowerPoint slide popped up on the board.

Xavia and Zealand jotted down a few things, and made note of certain ideas they might have both had.

"In addition to the actual project itself, you need to do research, come up with a hypothesis, explain your process and procedures, document what happens when you conduct this experiment, and lastly, a conclusion."

As Ms.Cross blabbed on about other things that weren't necessarily important, Xavia looked over at Zealand. "My house or yours?" She asked quietly.

Zealand looked over at her in confusion. "Huh?"

"Do you want to go to my house or yours? You know, so that we can work on the project." She said, being more clear about what she meant.

Zealand knew that there was no way in hell she would be coming over to his house. Between his father's behavior and him being embarrassed due to their poor living situation, it wasn't happening.

"Your house is fine." He told her. Then, it dawned on him that he'd have to get Harmony from school. "Wait, what about my sister?"

"Oh, I can take you to get her from school and she can just ride with us to my house. I don't mind." She told him.

"Your people won't care that I'm there?" Zealand asked, referring to Xavia's family. She shook her head. "I live with my grandmother, and I'm sure she'll be fine with it. I'll just have to let her know ahead of time that you'll be coming over."

He nodded, "Alright."

••

When school let out, Xavia called her grandmother as she leaned on her car, waiting on Zealand to meet her in the parking lot.

"Hello?" Rose answered in a whispered voice. She worked at a hospital as a phlebotomist. They weren't really allowed to take personal calls unless it was an emergency, so Xavia knew she had to make it fast.

"Nana, one of my classmates from school is coming over so that we can work on a project together." She said quickly.

"Are they a boy or a girl?" Rose asked. Xavia hesitated, "Uh..a boy?" Her answer came out as more of a question. As laid back as her Nana was, Xavi was nervous to hear what her response would be.

Her grandmother sighed, "Fine, Xavia. Just.." she trailed off, trying to find the right words.

Xavia rolled her eyes, "Nana, I already know what you're about to say. It's not even like that. I know how to behave myself while being alone with somebody of the opposite sex. I'm not Arnecia.." she mumbled the last part, even though Rose heard her.

She chuckled, already knowing that Niecey was the more promiscuous granddaughter.

"Alright, well I have to go. I cooked some food so all you gotta do is heat it up."

"Yes ma'am. Bye Nana, thanks again. I'll see you when you get home later." Xavia said, catching a glimpse of Zealand walking towards her car.

"No problem sweet pea. See you later."